Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Hood strut kit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Default 2011 Hood strut kit.

Ok, so I'm no novice at wrenching- Auto and diesel locomotive mechanic and trained machinist.

Just got the hood strut kit from E-Bay.

The directions started off stating "2008 Outlander". I've a 2011.

The brackets that are bolted to the hood look as if the ball mount goes to the outside- Cannot be done on the 2011.

Anybody put them on a 2011?

How were the hood brackets installed- look like the ball mount can go to the inside.

There is one bolt on the fender, I am guessing that this is the one that is used for the lower mount?

Any advise will be helpful. (So would more detailed directions.)

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Ok, so I'm no novice at wrenching- Auto and diesel locomotive mechanic and trained machinist.

Just got the hood strut kit from E-Bay.

The directions started off stating "2008 Outlander". I've a 2011.

The brackets that are bolted to the hood look as if the ball mount goes to the outside- Cannot be done on the 2011.

Anybody put them on a 2011?

How were the hood brackets installed- look like the ball mount can go to the inside.

There is one bolt on the fender, I am guessing that this is the one that is used for the lower mount?

Any advise will be helpful. (So would more detailed directions.)
There's one guy in Moscow, Russia making hood dampers for all 3 generations of Outlander, including 2010+. He is manufacturer, not a seller. I'll try to ask him and some of his customers to share at least photos of 2010+ Outlander hood dampers.
By the way he tells that dampers for 2007-2009 and 2010+ models are quite different - 2010's ones are shorter and less powerful.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM

The vendor I bought them from assured me they will work. The problem lie I don't think the hood mounting bracket will clear the underside just after the pinch weld.

I'll know better on Saturday when I'll have a chance to try to fit the brackets.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Got a chance to fit the bracket to the hood today.
The Nextek hood damper strut kit will not fit on a 2011. Hood hinge design must have been changed.

The ball mount is 90 deg and should be 130 or so.

I have requested a return from the eBay vendor.

Last edited by milliesdad; 04-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM

After trial fit of the hood adaptors for this hood support kit, I have come to the conclusion that Mitsu has changed the design of the hood hings and the inner hood panel.

The adaptor will not work with out modifying the hood hinge and the adaptor itself.

I have requested a return for them, and as of yet have not heard anything. (Did have an offer to buy, but I beleive that the gentleman is not in North America).

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Got the vendor to give me a refund, but I'm still interested in having the hood struts.

Vadimus, I would be interested in your friends hood dampers if they can be had. Shipping might be prohibative,as I'm in the USA.

And he is right about them being shorter, as the fender bolt that is replaced by the lower ball mount is only 8 inches (give or take a few) from the rearwars end of the fender.

Last edited by milliesdad; 04-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Got the vendor to give me a refund, but I'm still interested in having the hood struts.

Vadimus, I would be interested in your friends hood dampers if they can be had. Shipping might be prohibative,as I'm in the USA.

And he is right about them being shorter, as the fender bolt that is replaced by the lower ball mount is only 8 inches (give or take a few) from the rearwars end of the fender.
I am tempting to order this kit for myself. If I decide to do it, I can order extra kit and re-ship it to you from Canada.
The price is about $80.
Here is some other stuff this guy offers.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Let me know if you do.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Just installed my hood damper kit. It took about 30 minutes as the kit was delivered without any instructions, so first time I installed it incorrectly and had to redo it.

Last edited by Vadimus; 12-21-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Well done Vadimus.

This is on my list of things to do for my 2009 as it already has a dimple on the drivers side hood. I mentioned it to Dixie and they quoted me $100 to fix the dimple in the hood.

I'll just take it to a body shop after I install the struts.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hood strut kit.