Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Mitsubishi All-New CUV At-A-Glance

Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Default 2011 Mitsubishi All-New CUV At-A-Glance

The all-new 2011 crossover utility vehicle enhances the Outlander family with a fresh blend of stylish design, premium features, and high capability. With enhanced fuel efficiency, class-leading aerodynamics and an available All-Wheel Control (AWC) system, the new vehicle brings premium value to the entry-level crossover utility vehicle (CUV) market. The crossover gets a 148hp MIVEC-equipped 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission in value-rich ES models. A six-speed magnesium paddle-shifted CVT transmission is available in ES models and is standard in premium SE models.

With a highly efficient four-cylinder engine and a compact, lightweight body, the entry level CUV is designed from the ground up for "smart" performance. Recycled plastic front fenders give the crossover increased dent resistance and a reduction in weight. Combined with an energy-recycling regenerative braking system, eco-friendly technology such as the parasitic drag-reducing electric power steering (EPS), thinner body steel, low rolling resistance tires, and wind tunnel-tested aerodynamics help it reach the 31mpg mark on the highway.

Balanced between efficiency and traction, the SE's available AWC electronically controlled 4WD system is engineered for any driving situation. AWC uses a driver selectable **** for 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Lock modes. With the ability to distribute power evenly and still maintain high fuel economy, AWC increases handling, stability, and traction through all conditions.

Just over a foot shorter than the Outlander model, the new CUV shares its sibling's capable stance and feature-rich package, all while adding increased fuel economy. A dynamic new shape and refined aerodynamics give it a class-leading 0.33 coefficient of drag, beating the Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX7, and Subaru Forester. This slippery shape also helps increase both fuel efficiency and acceleration.

Accented with Mitsubishi's distinctive "jet fighter" front grille treatment, the new crossover comes equipped with LED rear combination taillights and the SE model features Super wide range High Intensity Discharge (S-HID) headlamps. With two new exterior paint options, Mercury Gray and Laguna Blue, and available 18-inch alloy wheels on SE models, the new crossover is available in a variety of exciting exterior combinations.

With a curb weight of just 3,042-lb., the entry-level CUV weighs less than the Nissan Rogue (3,281-lb.), Hyundai Tucson (3,179-lb.), and Mazda CX7 (3,496-lb.). This reduction in weight was achieved through the use of thinner steel in the hood, tailgate, and doors, recycled plastic front fenders, and new interior materials. In addition to being lightweight, the CUV's structure is also rigid and safe, with a Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) body design and multiple crush zones.

The bold design continues into the interior, which is packed with premium features. Standard is a full color, high contrast LCD instrument display and SE models also feature the One touch Start System (OSS). A seven-airbag safety system with side, curtain, and a driver's knee airbag is standard, covered in a premium grained, soft padded treatment across the dashboard and door trim. Interior volume and storage space are
both maximized on the five-passenger CUV, which seems even larger with the spacious view of the available LED-accented Panoramic Glass Roof.

Showcasing a premium, value-minded list of features, the new crossover features many cutting edge entertainment and driver's aid technologies. Standard across all models are Active Stability Control (ASC), Hill Start Assist (HSA), and Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS). All models also feature iPOD/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks. SE models add automatic climate control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, FAST-key passive keyless entry, and the FUSE Hands-free Link System. Available on SE models is a 710W nine-speaker Rockford Fosgate sound system and a 40GB hard disk drive-based navigation system with 7-in. LCD display screen.

The all-new crossover utility vehicle is also available with a host of customization packages, which allow stylish and active buyers to personalize to their taste. The Exterior Sport Package, Protection Package, Interior Package, Illumination Package, and Cargo Package allow the Crossover to fit with nearly any owner and lifestyle.

Key Specifications
Wheelbase: 105.1 in.
Length: 169.1 in.
Height: 64.2 in.
Width: 69.7 in.
Curb Weight: 3,042-lb. (ES 5-speed manual)

Major Standard Features (ES)

* 148hp DOHC MIVEC 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine (PZEV version: 143hp)
* Full color, high contrast LCD instrument display
* Electric Power Steering (EPS)
* Five-speed manual transmission with available six-speed magnesium paddle-shifted CVT
* 16-in. alloy wheels
* Active Stability Control (ASC)
* Hill Start Assist (HSA)
* Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)
* Regenerative braking system
* Lightweight plastic front fenders
* Front "jet fighter" grille and bumper
* Chrome grille surround
* Steering wheel audio system controls
* LED combination taillights
* Driver and front passenger air bag SRS with front passenger occupant sensors, side and curtain air bags, and driver's seat knee air bag
* 60/40 split-folding rear seat with pass-through
* Heated outer side view mirrors
* Air conditioning
* Cruise control
* Power door locks and side view mirrors
* Power windows with driver's one-touch up/down
* Tilt and telescoping-adjustable steering column
* IPOD/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks
* FUSE Hands-free Link System

SE adds over ES:

* Standard CVT transmission with steering column-mounted magnesium paddle shifters
* Available All-Wheel Control (AWC) electronically controlled 4WD system
* Automatic climate control system
* 18-in. aluminum alloy wheels
* Fog lamps with chrome bezel
* FAST-key passive entry system
* One-touch Start System (OSS)
* Automatic climate control
* Automatic on/off headlamps
* Rain-sensing windshield wipers
* 3D-embossed premium seat fabric
* S-HID headlamps
* Heated driver and front passenger seats
* Sliding center front armrest
* Deluxe audio system with six speakers

Option Packages (SE only):

Premium Package: Panoramic Glass Roof with LED accent lighting, 710W nine-speaker Rockford Fosgate audio system, Sirius XM Radio with 3-month subscription, and black roof rails.

Navigation Package: 40GB navigation system with 7-inch LCD display and Real-Time Traffic (RTT).

alfa romeo parts
forex robot

Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 AM

pics?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM

No more V6

Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by armymen
No more V6

Why would you need a pocket rocket compact SUV? That just defeats the purpose of the reason the Outlander Sport was made.
The 2.0 I4 is way more than enough...it will be sold with a 1.8L I4 outside of North America.
If you want a V6, buy a regular Outlander.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM

It needs the 2.4L I4 optional in North America. With 4WD it will be too heavy and slow. I anticipate it will be heavily criticized for that.
A 2.0L Turbo and dual-clutch would be nice though.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 PM

The 2.4 barely cranks out more power than the 2.0...152 vs 168 HP and similar torque differences. I don't see why they even sell the 2.4 L engine, as it practically uses the same amount of fuel as the 3L V6 on the Outlander.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
The 2.4 barely cranks out more power than the 2.0...152 vs 168 HP and similar torque differences. I don't see why they even sell the 2.4 L engine, as it practically uses the same amount of fuel as the 3L V6 on the Outlander.
Marketing.

If you look around, in Canada at least, most of the Outlanders are I4.
Most people would take the I4 for 1L/100km better fuel economy, not to mention 1-2K lower price.

I think the Outlander Sport needs the 2.4L I4 to offer better power/weight ratio, more torque and most importantlly, to be comparable to the other small SUVs.
The 2.0L may be OK for the FWD, manual at around 3000 lbs, but the AWD and auto will add perhaps 200 lbs more and it will put even more strain on the motor.
Small engines on relativelly heavy cars = lower fuel economy.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM

In my recent trip to Japan I saw these "mini" Outlanders up close and personal and to be honest I wouldn't want to "upgrade" from the real Outlander. Even if I would be in the market looking for a new car in this segment I would rather go for 2011 Kia Sportage. Outlanders were cool yesterday, tomorrow not so much.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Well, actually the 2.4l engine is underrated, plus in real world driving it does get better MPG than the 3.0l, especially city driving, plus the most important aspect is that the 2.4l is cheaper than 3.0l. I would love to see the current 2.4l Lancer Ralliart engine inside Outlander. What I really wonder is when will Mitsubishi start to offer direct injection engines, Hyundai has started doing it with the new Sonata and next year the new Tucson will get direct injection as well (for anyone that wants to buy the new Tucson I would wait until the 2011 year model).

And the new Kia Sportage actually kind of looks like a modernized 2007-2009 Outlander, one thing about Korean cars, I recently test drove the new Sonata and Tucson, from the outside they look very good although Tucson has a small trunk BUT feel/handling wise I would still pick Outlander over the new Tucson. Also, not on the interior, the Outlander does not have an expensive interior, cheap plastics all over the place, the seats of the Tucson actually beat the Outlander in cheapness (at least for 2010 Mitsu has a cool color speedometer display), once you step in inside of one of the Korean cars, you'll see where the cost cutting comes in, again, Mitsu is no interior champion but Hyundai actually feels even more cheaper to me.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 05-14-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Mitsubishi All-New CUV At-A-Glance