Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Mitsubishi All-New CUV At-A-Glance

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM

What I like about this new Mitsu is the progress they are making in bringing better cars to the market.
I noted few much needed improvements like: nicers interior materials (based on the few reviews and PR the dash and door panels have soft-touch materials), telescopic steering wheel, cloth heated seats, heated mirrors, auto on/off headlights, improved color display, rain-sensing wipers. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing missing from the SE trim feature list (needs and wants). The powertrain would be a let down for me, the CVT being the biggest culprit.
The "thin" door and hood sheet metal (to reduce weight) may be a concern for NHV levels.

I too like the new Kia Sportage, but I think with a proper drivetrain (2.0L Turbo or 2.4L I4 and SST or 6AT) I would still take the little Mitsu over it (it's not going to happen, I know, but just saying).

I agree, Mitsu should get into the DI, Turbo badwagon sooner rather than later. Mitsu is an engineering powerhouse and I know they can do it, but not sure if they can afford it these days.

Last edited by dodo2; 05-14-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dodo2
What I like about this new Mitsu is the progress they are making in bringing better cars to the market.
I noted few much needed improvements like: nicers interior materials (based on the few reviews and PR the dash and door panels have soft-touch materials), telescopic steering wheel, cloth heated seats, heated mirrors, auto on/off headlights, improved color display, rain-sensing wipers. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing missing from the SE trim feature list (needs and wants). The powertrain would be a let down for me, the CVT being the biggest culprit.
The "thin" door and hood sheet metal (to reduce weight) may be a concern for NHV levels.

I too like the new Kia Sportage, but I think with a proper drivetrain (2.0L Turbo or 2.4L I4 and SST or 6AT) I would still take the little Mitsu over it (it's not going to happen, I know, but just saying).

I agree, Mitsu should get into the DI, Turbo badwagon sooner rather than later. Mitsu is an engineering powerhouse and I know they can do it, but not sure if they can afford it these days.
I actually think that Mitsu at some point will release some special edition 2.4l turbo Outlander Sport, of course it will not be available in USA, Mitsu has released a lot of great perfromance products but for some reason they like to omit North America, there was Outlander Turbo (03-06), Colt Ralliart, Galant VR-4 (99-03), it's not like Mitsubishi doesn't release performance cars, they just don't release it here :S Whatever the reason, they definitely have the technology, they are one of the best when it comes to AWD and turbo technology. they also were the first to introduce modern direct injection in gasoline engines in 1996, but at least we should be happy that we got the Lancer Evo here. Mitsubishi is a niche company, they should focus on performance/driving dynamics technology (a la Subaru), I dont think they have much of a chance to compete for mainstream products with Honda/Toyota/Nissan but that actually may be a good thing for car enthusiasts.

Outlander Sport will be about the same size as current Suzuki SX4, similar weight, similar power, better fuel efficiency, sure they could have packed a 2.4l in there but I guess they wanted the best possible price/performance ratio, if they price this car here in USA at around $17K for base model, they may actually have something nice here, hopefully they will not overprice it. Base Outlander starts at $20800, Lancer starts at $14800, Lancer Sportback at $19200, Suzuki SX4 Crossover at $15900. Again, if price right, this could be a nice little hit, not much competition in this segment YET. Nissan will have Juke but that thing is just weird looking.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM

The turbo engine in Mitsu cars is the 2.0L. The 2.4L I4 is naturally aspired.
The Otlander Sport is bigger than the Suzuki SX4. It's similar in size with VW Tiguan.
Mitsu is aiming for small car market, which might be a good thing anywhere else than US. US is still a mid-size / full-size market. In North America, Canada is where they'll do better most likely as Canadians favor the compact cars/SUVs. Mitsu is doing all right in Canada; not a top seller but, Outlander and Lancer sell in reasonable numbers relative to the market size and competition. Plus, their name is not plagued like it is in US.
I'm looking forward to checking out one of these when it shows up.