Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 outlander headlights problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Default 2011 outlander headlights problem

Hi, did everyone noticed the headlights dims while the AC is ON?
I have my 2011 outie from april and while I was driving on the nightime i noticed the headligts are dimming for less than a sec every once in awhile. after few moths I noiticed the AC was ON when it did that and finaly I decided to take a look while the AC was on and I noticed that every time the AC is kicking the headlights dimms.
I havent call the dealer yet but I would like to know if you noticed the same problem ot if someone knows why it does that

thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM

That's normal, just about all cars do that. The electrical and physical load imposed on the system when the fans kick on will cause a drop in voltage...dimming the light. I'd imagine the only way to get rid of such of a dim is to either install some sort of capacitors for the lights (expensive) or install a high output alternator (also expensive). Enjoy your '11.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 PM

You might want to check the water level in the battery.

Mine did similar, and the water level was low. Let it get low enough and you will have a problem starting, but then that's what the roadside assisgtance is for.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 PM

I did check the water leve in the battery and it is up to the upper level sign. the "eye" on the battery is blue too. when I noticed the headlights dim with AC on the car was idling and the dim was still ther but "hard" to noticed. while I'm on the road I think the dim is much more noticeable but not everytime the AC kicks on because the AC is kicking on almost every minute and while I'm driving I don't notice the dim so often. What I'm saying is the dim is there every time the AC is kicking ON but behind the wheels I don't notice just the big drop downs.
If any other sugestions please let me know!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 PM

When the AC kicks in, it takes more electricity than the system has available, hence the dimming of the lights.

My battery has not got a blue eye, but then again, I wasn't looking for one. I must have gotten the cheap battery. It's one size larger than the battery in my Gold Wing.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Arrow Solution ;)

Cant go wrong with Philips they have the best light bulbs Happy Holidays to all!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Default headlights problems???

I finaly made it to the dealer and they checked the electrical system and everything is good, at least that's what they say.

I also replaced the license plate light bulbs with LED's (i don't think this is a problem)

I installed LED's underneath the seats and i tight them up staight from the glove box light (wich I don't think is a problem cause I have a switch to turn the LED's off)

I installed a overthehead DVD player and I wire it up on the back 12V outlet located in the trunk because it only has power when the engine is runing. First I wired the dvd on the dome light but the next day the battery died. I thought its gonna be OK because if I had the dvd paying and I was locking the car the dvd shuts off.

I installed a rearview dimming mirror with compass and I wire it up on the dome light

ANYWAY MY PROBLEM IS:

if i'm driving during the night and I want to rool up the windows even if they are up the lights dim again. I know you are not supposed to do that once you have the windows up but I thought I have the window open just a little bit and i pulled the button up and then I noticed the lights dim. I pulled up two buttons at the same time and the dim was even more noticeable, I pulled up all four buttons and it was more noticeable.

IS THIS A PROBLEM?
If I go back in dealear I'm affraid they will void my warranty because of the LED's underneath the seat, the DVD I installed myself and the reaview morror