Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Yesterday I found a flat stretch of highway and locked the cruise in at 70mph... 30mpg displayed. I dropped down to 65... 34mpg displayed. It's there and doable. Conditions are everything. I've wondered how much extra my glass roof pings me for. I know that sucker is heavy. I accelerate easy and and don't drive I'm 16 anymore and my averages keep creeping up. My in town mileage has been averaging a solid 25-26mpg as of late. That's between 2 drivers. Last trip to San Antonio averageged 26.5 combined. Again above EPA ratings. I advise everyone to try to let off the gas have a step earlier and brake lighter. It makes all the difference. My F150 is rated 15-19 and I get 17 always. I get 17 all city cause I don't rush. I get 17 all highway because of ethanol and wind drag. But in the end that's damn good.

I was talking to my dealer about gas when I first got the OS and she was telling me about another person in town with the 2wd who was complaining that she was only getting 17mpg. Well, I have since come across this chick and she guns it from every light and races to the next before slamming on the brakes. Rinse. Repeat. If I was in my ford and drove like that I would net somewhere around 7-8mpg.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Some observations, we had a warm spell up here in Canada (it was mid-20's for a couple of days). My regular city driving (my city has a mix of hills) went from 10.5L/100km (winter weather and temperatures from -10C to 0C) down to between 8L/100km and 8.5L/100km in the warm weather. Since then, the temperature has dropped to about 0C to 5C and I'm getting around 9.5L/100km.

Keeping in mind everyone's driving style is different. I saw someone posting they hit 3000-4000 rpms from a stop. I don't think I've ever gone that high unless I really floor-ed it up a hill. Usually when I start from a stoplight, I go as high as 2000-2200 rpms but rarely beyond that.

Last edited by rt_hat; 03-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 PM

I'd recommend the TSB update for everyone. I filled up today with the fuel gauge exactly at half. 216.5 miles since the last fill-up took 8.607 gallons, giving me 25.154 mpg average (9.35L/100km) which I consider quite good. My highest average with combined city/freeway driving in Washington state. About 78 miles freeway and the rest city, with a blend of hills, heavy stop & go, smooth low speed traffic (city), 55-65mph on the freeways. The computer showed 23.7 avg (I let mine run until I fill up, so I get a good estimate over the whole tank - mine does not reset after the 4 hour auto-reset period). 2wd throughout, no a/c.

I'm pretty sure that my average has gone up to about 1mpg after the update. And as others have indicated, punching the gas does decrease gas mileage - although I actually did that about 10 times on this tank when I wanted to switch lanes before the next traffic light during downtown driving.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Just a final note on mileage. As previously noted I was to drive approx. 400 km highway and report on highway mileage. I did that trip and approx. 75 city driving and had a total of 500km driven. The tank just dipped below 1/2 full and i refilled to the top, 37 litres of mid grade 89. That would put me at 7.4 liters per 100km( 32 mpg ). My highway drive was for the most part flat from Brampton to Peterborough and return. Driving to get this type of milage does require many extra efforts that i realize many drivers would not consider. The most important being to remove your foot completely from the accelerator when possible and glide until miles per hour begins to decrease and then gently gain the 3-5 kilometers per hour you lost gliding until you are up to speed again and then repeat this process entire trip. I travelled at approx. 105kph-110kph. I do understand that driving as described is unrealistic for most, but this is how Mitsubishi gets their desired mileage numbers. It is my belief that 6.6/ 7.6/ and 8.6 liters per hundred is possible on a day with no wind, completely flat, and a style of driving that is very difficult to apply day to day. This style of driving is now second nature for me and is as simple to do as just stepping on the gas and go.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Wow, and I thought the US numbers were inflated a bit 6.6/7.6/8.6 L/100km equates to 35.64/30.95/27.35 mpg. Not sure how the agency tests cars in Canada, must be even more unrealistic than the EPA over here.

FrustratedByMe - try cruise control next time on the same route and see how it goes, I think that may give you similar numbers. I'd think the little bit gained by coasting will be negated by the gradual acceleration...

Last edited by ProcessorHog; 03-27-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM

Hey ProcessorHog....i'm always happy to learn a bit more about my new car and how you have your mileage estimates not reset after 4 hrs down time. Is this a glitch or was that option available to you or did you figure out a way to change this. When I change mine to manual it still resets after 4hrs although it lets me manually reset any time throughout.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Filled up today from roughly a quarter of a tank. 329.1 miles driven, took 11.94 gallons of 87 to fill it up, which equates to 27.53 MPG mixed 30% city / 70% highway (highway speeds are about 50% @ 55mph and 50% @ ~65mph)

The above was accomplished with a K&N Drop in filter and normal driving routines, just simply slowing down and doing the speed limit on the highway.

My lowest tank netted me about 23 MPG and this one was actually my highest... Overall, anything above 60MPH and you are raping your fuel economy in these.

Guys, seriously, buy the flipping K&N filter. Its $35 with free shipping on amazon. My average economy has gone up over 3MPG! Do the math! The filter will pay itself off in like 5 tanks of gas, which for many people, is roughly 5 weeks. From there its all profit, especially when you need to change the filter, and can just re-use the K&N.

If you want to actually get decent gas mileage, click here: Amazon.com: K&N 33-2392 Air Filter: Automotive

Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by FrustratedByMe
Hey ProcessorHog....i'm always happy to learn a bit more about my new car and how you have your mileage estimates not reset after 4 hrs down time. Is this a glitch or was that option available to you or did you figure out a way to change this. When I change mine to manual it still resets after 4hrs although it lets me manually reset any time throughout.
I haven't figured this out also, I hate that the average resets itself everyday for me. I liked having the ability to reset the avg only when i fill up in my BMW.

Kinda stupid that when you set it to manual it doesn't stay.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Filled up today from roughly a quarter of a tank. 329.1 miles driven, took 11.94 gallons of 87 to fill it up, which equates to 27.53 MPG mixed 30% city / 70% highway (highway speeds are about 50% @ 55mph and 50% @ ~65mph)

The above was accomplished with a K&N Drop in filter and normal driving routines, just simply slowing down and doing the speed limit on the highway.

My lowest tank netted me about 23 MPG and this one was actually my highest... Overall, anything above 60MPH and you are raping your fuel economy in these.

Guys, seriously, buy the flipping K&N filter. Its $35 with free shipping on amazon. My average economy has gone up over 3MPG! Do the math! The filter will pay itself off in like 5 tanks of gas, which for many people, is roughly 5 weeks. From there its all profit, especially when you need to change the filter, and can just re-use the K&N.

If you want to actually get decent gas mileage, click here: Amazon.com: K&N 33-2392 Air Filter: Automotive
Those are nice numbers! How hilly is the area that you live in? I'm thinking of installing one of those higher-flow filters to see if it makes a difference (but I guess they'll have lower filtration because they're higher flow ones?).

Originally Posted by FrustratedByMe
Originally Posted by tdott
I haven't figured this out also, I hate that the average resets itself everyday for me. I liked having the ability to reset the avg only when i fill up in my BMW.

Kinda stupid that when you set it to manual it doesn't stay.
It doesn't make sense that the car should auto-reset every 4 hours even after you set it through the instrument panel - this is probably a QC failure on their part.

I got one of these and changed a few parameters. There's an option in there for not auto-resetting the avg mpg. I enabled that and changed the setting to "manual" through the info panel (as mentioned in the user's manual), and it sticks until you reset, even after multiple days of inactivity. There are tons of other options that you can change in there (but be very careful while doing so, or it can mess up your car and you'll have to take it in).

Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ProcessorHog
Those are nice numbers! How hilly is the area that you live in? I'm thinking of installing one of those higher-flow filters to see if it makes a difference (but I guess they'll have lower filtration because they're higher flow ones?).
Some moderate hills, nothing mountainous or crazy tho. As far as the filter unless you live in a desert and will be dealing with sand storms a good high flow filter will work just fine for you. Millions of people use high flow filters with no adverse effects, just don't over oil it when cleaning.

The $35 K&N that I linked is well worth the price. (you also will notice a slightly pepier acceleration, particularly while in MIVEC)

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?