Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Smile

Well if taking 10 seconds to accelerate to 80KPH is an inefficient way to drive then I'm guilty! I've been driving this car like a moped trying to get decent mileage. We used to have a Corolla and that thing got awesome mileage in any driving scenario. I think the problem is now I have a visual of my economy and I can't help but focus on it. When really I don't give a crap as long as it's close to "as advertised". I got a Pathfinder that is a thristy beast I couldn't care less about the fuel econmoy, oh I wish I'd never laid eyes on the ever changing bar graph of frustration. I'm not gonna look at it until the tanks almost empty!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Hello. I just got my Outlander Sport/ RVR/ ASX the first fill up gave me 22.7mpg. that was some highway and mostly city. I also find myself focusing on the information screen trying to improve my fuel economy. i use cruise most of the time as the roads i travel are longer than usual between lights. our average temperature here is over 100F so driving without a/c is not an option. I am looking forward to improving the mileage with modifying my driving style. i am coming from a Forester Sports XT, thats the turbo premium fuel gulping version for those of you who dont know, so i am still getting used to the slower starts and slower speeds.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM

well first fill up of all city driving.....um yeah.

19.7mpg. 14.6 gallons @ $50+ 288 miles total. better than the forester, but not by much. the forester was giving me 16.5 the last time around. so i guess any improvement is an improvement. the good thing was i am now able to fill up with 87octane ($3.53) as opposed to REQUIRING 93octane($3.99) so i am saving some money.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Default update?

Originally Posted by rvr2011
another update on our 2011 RVR GT from Toronto, Canada. Average mpg is 9-10 liters per 100 km (improved by 1 liter comparing with last update). 80% city + 20% highway, 2WD mode (no need to turn on 4WD or Lock since driving conditions are good).

Basically 300km per 30 liters (half tank) gives 600km per 60 liters (full tank)
Hey 'rvr2011' I am looking at getting an rvr. I live in the GTA aswell so i was just wondering how your gas mileage is doing these days?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by noober
Hey 'rvr2011' I am looking at getting an rvr. I live in the GTA aswell so i was just wondering how your gas mileage is doing these days?
I'm getting between 8-9L/100km on most tanks.
Worst is 10L/100km in all city driving.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Well yet another tank is empty and once again find myself dissapointed and upset. Todays results are 409KM required 48.459L in fuel. That's 11.848L per 100KM, way, way over the advertised 8.4 CITY??? Wow, that sucks, may 1993 V6 Pathfinder gets better economy. I still have a very high pitched electronic noise and my IPod still doesn't work. I have mentioned before that we do no live in big city, the longest you wait for a red light is under a minute and there is no stop and go traffic. Again we drive the car as nicely as possible!!! I have contacted "CAMVAP" and hope to get something resolved soon. I will continue to post results.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM

I have a 2011 sport awc. It has 400 miles on it and gets 23 to 26 city and I'm not being overly gentle with it. Mine is left in the default 4wd mode and actually seems to do better (odd). Haven't had any time with it on the highway yet though given the gear ratio I don't expect awesome numbers there.

* Also, I replaced the factory air filter with a $50 k&n which seems to have given me a tiny bit more power and about 2mpg more than what I was getting the first few days I drove it. (Could just be break in).

I'm going to add a few accessories to mine and I'm hoping they don't hurt the mpg too much. (aero roof rails/crossbar kit), mud guards, and wind deflectors.

All and all I really love the thing. Great features.

Last edited by czmorris; 06-25-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM

OK you so mean to tell me that you are getting that economy while driving in 4WD!!! That's unreal. There's got to something wrong with our car, it goes back into the shop on Wednesday after they admitted to me that it never actually went into the shop while trying to discover the location of the high pitched noise!!! All I know is that I am babying this thing, using cruise control, slowly (very slowly) accelerating and never using the sport drive mode!!! My last tank gave me just shy of 12L/100K!!! There seems to be a mix of people either getting terrible economy (like me) or getting expected economy like you? I would think that I could drive this thing like a race car over an entire tank and still fair better than what I'm getting? I'll post on the results of wednesdays shop visit.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 AM

One thing I noticed while changing the air filter is that it wouldn't be too hard to mistakenly clamp the box closed in a funny way causing air flow problems. Also the average temp here (panama city, Florida) has been above 90f The AC in mine pretty much stays on. I let a friend of mine test drive the car today and he was on it really hard, got it down to 18mpg. I'll update with manual calcs on mine when I fill up again.

When I drive in areas where I have to idle in traffic a lot or make frequent short trips my numbers look more like yours but I'm not really being actively easy on it. I accelerate and stop with traffic and occasionally passing or accelerating for lane changes. Also I'm using cheap 87 octane with 10% ethanol mix. It's the most readily available in my area.

Last edited by czmorris; 06-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 AM

well two more fillups and again a little disappointed.

all city driving, fill up before road trip - 19.8 mpg
90%highway driving fillup after trip - 24.8 mpg

i dont like those numbers at all. i just hit the 1100 miles mark and think i should be doing a lot better. i have been trying to raise the mpgs but cant. i got it as far as 25mpg, but that was without ac and VERY slow acceleration. I dont think i should have to drive like that to achieve the "average" of 25mpg. besides, like i said with our average temperature in june at 105F driving without ac is not possible.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?