Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport dies when at a stop.......HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Default 2011 Outlander Sport dies when at a stop.......HELP

I purchased a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport in May (2011). It has about 8,000 miles on it. I love this car except the fact that it has stalled 3x's in the last month. I will be at a stop and all of a sudden the engine dies and the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on. I put in park and turn the key, engine starts up fine, no warning lights come up and I am fine? I have googled this issue and there is something in the Outlander V6 called idle neutral logic (supposed to save gas) that is causing the exact same thing. I am pretty sure that only the V6 engines have that. Mine is a 4cyl with CVT. Has anybody else had this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

You should be talking to the service manager at the dealership you bought it from instead of asking for help on a Mitsu forum.

And you need a loaner car until it's fixed,

Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
You should be talking to the service manager at the dealership you bought it from instead of asking for help on a Mitsu forum.

And you need a loaner car until it's fixed,
I have only been researching here a short time as I narrow down my vehicle search, however in that short time I have been here, it appears as though this forum is for owners of Mitsi's to exchange information about their vehicles and ask questions about issues encountered etc. Although the advice given is pretty much the next best step, its not up to you to decide who asks what here. Like who would come here with an issue and ask questions???? sheesh...

You contribute nothing with that response.

OP, do you have any way of reading which code it's firing? If so let me know. Do you have a scanner of any sort? If not just bring it to the dealership and they can let you know. But you should feel free to ask any questions you wish.

Last edited by Darkstar; 07-23-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Thumbs down Thank you Darkstar, here is the deal.....

I took it to my lovely dealership and they hooked up to the computer. There was no code and that was the extent of their help! The service guy looked at me like I had 4 heads and said "Uh, never heard of anything like that." The service manager is on vacation.....so that is why I am on here, trying to see if anyone else has had this problem. I found this forum to be extremely helpful when my fuse system had to be reset for my ipod to work.......again the dealer was clueless on this (so thanks for the "stellar" advice milliesdad)

Has anyone else had this issue in an Outlander Sport??? I can't be the only one.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 PM

that's gotta be a frustrating problem. the only thing I'd suggest is the next time it does this, record the instrument panel with your camera phone (assuming you have some sort of video or camera ability on your phone). That way you can have some sort of data for the service dept. (works well for veterinarian problems as well!)

Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by italianteach
I took it to my lovely dealership and they hooked up to the computer. There was no code and that was the extent of their help! The service guy looked at me like I had 4 heads and said "Uh, never heard of anything like that." The service manager is on vacation.....so that is why I am on here, trying to see if anyone else has had this problem. I found this forum to be extremely helpful when my fuse system had to be reset for my ipod to work.......again the dealer was clueless on this (so thanks for the "stellar" advice milliesdad)

Has anyone else had this issue in an Outlander Sport??? I can't be the only one.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Although I am new to Mitsi's I am far from new to tuning cars and working on them. In my experience with other makes, the code that was fired should be stored in the ECU until it gets cleared, possibly along with other data that caused it. If you threw a CEL and the car shut off, there should be a code thrown. I am pretty sure the Outlander uses OBDII type diagnostics port so you should be able scan it yourself , or go to autozone and have them scan it for free to see whats up. I would take this up with the service manager ASAP when he gets back. There's a variety of reasonably priced scanners that will even log data while you drive. I have used several. I would log the car and try to replicate the issue and then store that for the dealership.

A funny look and a shoulder shrug is not a resolution to your issue.

Last edited by Darkstar; 07-24-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM

If nothing else the dealership should have tested the idle air control valve instead of just acting like you were making the problem up. A weak idle air control motor can cause the stalling and if that's the case, it doesn't always set a code.

Ccernst had a good idea about taking a picture of the instrument panel the next time it happens. I also suggest you call Mitsubishi's North American headquarters (the number is in your owner's manual) and get them involved. Hopefully they can convince the dealership to take your problem seriously.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Check the air filter for the lower latches to be properly locked. Sometimes air filter box is wrongly assembled after filter replacement.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Default Thanks..........

I am going to check the air filter to be sure it is closed up right and will also have the dealer check the idle air control motor.......I will keep you posted!

Thanks again for all the responses.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Let us know how it goes, and the code it fired if you can.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport dies when at a stop.......HELP