Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport dies when at a stop.......HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 AM

Hi all! Mats in Sweden here! Have problem with my 07 Outlander 2.0 Diesel. The engine lamp was lighten approx 6 months ago. The authorized Mitsubishi garage switched the EGR valve/throttle but the lamp still lights. The garage have given up after several attempts to find the reason. I don't know if it is a combined problem but when having my caravan attached and driving uphills the engine often suddenly loose most of it's power. If I stop and switch of the engine and start again it is normal again until next uphill...any ideas anyone!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 PM

You are unlikely to see any codes, because the engine is stalling as if you had an manual transmission Outlander. I would stab harder at the gas initially and see if that is a temporary solution, then have them increase the idle rpm if that indeed fixes it.
I'm not too sure how a CVT works, but my impression is that it is directly linked to the transmission instead of just transferring power through fins/thick fluid like an automatic. So it is more likely to stall, especially with smaller engines like that on the RVR.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Default Same problem 2011 RVR

I have a similar problem, my 2011 RVR engine will die out sometimes when I am stopped. Occasionally the RPMs moves between 1700-900 rpms for several seconds which shakes the car back and forth before dying (the rpms seems to be hunting without pressing on gas). I usually have to hit the gas to stop it from dying. But each time when it dies there is no check engine light, so there is no error code!!! I had two check engine lights that came on but went away quickly. The dealership thinks its due to the gasoline but this has happened several times in a few months so I think its something else (Plus I only use Costco or Shell gasoline). I might change the air filter to K&N high performance filter but I don't think its the air filter, since I'm less than 25K in Toronto, Canada.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM

Italianteach and Diggfinder -

Have either of you updated the ECU with the new firmware flash from the Nov 2011 TSB? If not, I'd recommend you get it done. It was for fixing a camshaft position sensor issue.

Have you see these happen over a long period of time? If it's on a single tank of gas, it may be bad fuel. I had an old car once which did this and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, and it turned out that there was some impurities in the fuel system. A couple of tanks with a fuel cleaner additive fixed my issue back then.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Do you think the firmware update works for 2007 Outlander 2.0D?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Doubtful. If you have a diesel that dies then you are lacking fuel. MAYBE timing, but end of the day the lack of fuel or catastrophic failure is what kills an external combustion engine

Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 PM

The 2.0L turbo diesel is made by Volkswagen and has an inherent design fault (self destructing turbo). I don't know why Mitsubishi would damage their reliability ratings by buying an engine from such a low quality manufacturer.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

I have a 2012 galant I-4 that sounds like is having the same problem. I had a 2011 also that the dealer got tired of working on with the same problem and bought it back and sold us a 2012. I thought I got rid of the problem when I got rid of the car. my dealer says its bad fuel, but come on 7 times in 2 cars. I dont use "cheep" gas. I am going to a private mech on monday to see if a human can figure it out. instead of a computer.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Default having same issue

I'm having the same issue with my 2011 outlander sport se cvt. stalls unexpectidly while in intersections. I had the computer updated 3 weeks ago with the 2012 programming per the tsb, didn't fix it... any luck finding a solution?

I am going to call the dealer again tomorrow. I think it is either a faulty idle control valve or weak fuel pump... either way it only have 20k miles on it. it also has trouble starting once in a while. Let me know if anyone has resolved this issue.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM

Dear god I hope mine doesn't develope this issue! Best of luck guys!

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport dies when at a stop.......HELP