Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2013-15 Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Question 2013-15 Outlander Sport

Im looking at buying a 13-15 Outlander Sport, I like just about everything about it. I know it will not be like my 2000 jeep Grand Cherokee but my wife needs a car. So I wanted some personal reviews of the Outlander Sport and possible problems. Im hoping to get about 10 maybe 15 years out of this suv and will only really be driven to work and back, and maybe a road trip or two.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 AM

I can't give you a long term review, because we just bought one... 2014... but looked at a lot of other compact SUVs and I think its the best value out there; particularly because you can find a lot of them with plenty of factory warranty left. How many miles a year do you drive? That would be a key factor in whether you can get that much life out of it or not.

We had a 2001 Grand Cherokee that we got rid of 3 years ago with approaching 200K miles on it. It started life in the northeast and the underside was starting to give way to years of salt and corrosion. The Outlander Sport is a lot smaller than the Grand Cherokee in all aspects. I pulled a 5K pound boat/trailer with the GC without any problem, with the 4.0L. The Outlander Sport has an engine half that size, and a lot less interior space. But it will also likely get double the gas mileage.

I would encourage you to drive one and see what you think. That is what won us over... rides smooth and quiet for an SUV. Check both the ES and SE because they have different equipment, and Mitsubishi also seems to allow more tailoring of options... for example ours is an ES but has leather seats. We did get an AWD/4WD model, so they are a little fewer out there.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:24 PM

I bought mine used with 59K miles back in Oct 2015 and I've liked it since. I'm now at 126K (long drive to work) and the only thing I've had to do other than tires and oil changes is a new alternator (just over a year ago due to failure), a new battery earlier this winter and something just happened with the tailgate switch not allowing me to open the tailgate door from the outside. All three of these will come up to about $1100. I'm hoping to get another 100K out of it. According to the guys at Mitsubishi, they have one of the lowest maintenance costs of all the major bands on the market.