Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2013 Outlander V6 3.0L Transmission a bit rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 09:17 AM
Default 2013 Outlander V6 3.0L Transmission a bit rough

Hi folks,

2013 Mitsu Outlander V6 Automatic Trans, 138,000 kms.

Need some advice from the veterans on here. Last May noticed a fluid leak and took car into mechanic who said they checked and don't see anything leaking and transmission fluid level and quality is good. January my outtie went into limp mode. Mechanic said trans fluid was empty and there was a leak in the line and the cooler. Replaced all that and replaced the fluid (was originally told they used J3). May rolls around and I am noticing some leaking again. Took it back to them and they said one of the high-pressure clamps was faulty. All this time since the repair I have had trouble getting an accurate read on the trans fluid level. Found out they used OEM brand trans fluid instead of J3 and also saw they charged me for 6.5 litres.

I want to have the OEM fluid replaced with the Mitsu J3 because I'm feeling a little tightness shifting from park to drive, and some sluggishness to pickup speed when I press the pedal down getting on the highway. Does anyone know how much fluid the 2013 V6 model should have? Because of the issues with getting a consistent reading on the trans fluid dipstick (running hot) I don't want to purely depend on that reading.

Would love some other insights from you all because I am getting more and more concerned about the trans on my girl after this fiasco. The mechanic went off to speak to the manager away from where I could hear when they were repairing the clamp and I worry that they might be hiding additional damage they saw. I will check the drained OEM fluid for particulate when i have the OEM switched out for J3. Won't do a fluid flush, just a change.

Do I need to look at the transaxle as well? I haven't looked into that as much.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Sammie-sea; 07-12-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:36 AM
Default Update

For anyone experiencing something similar.

I had a feeling it may not be the transmission causing the sluggishness. My symptoms of sluggishness included:
1. Hesitation to pick up speed from stop at a light, she would go but went much slower than I am used to.
2. Hesitation to pick up speed when merging onto the highway.
3. Louder hum from the engine when picking up speed.
4. Noticeable gear shifts when both city driving and highway driving.
5. On one occasion in park I could hear what I believe was a consistent misfire which made me consider spark plugs.
6. Some bucking out of park or from stopped at a light.

My vehicle never showed any codes at the mechanics.

Decided to have the spark plugs replaced with new NGX Iridium Laser sparks as well as have a throttle body clean and fuel injection clean completed. I suspect all three were playing a part because immediately, the hesitation and rough gear shifting seemed to have stopped, although I do need to test drive further.

Now I have a new issue, when I turn on my AC the RPMs surge and it feels like my car will take flight if I do it at a stop. Will update you when I figure that out.