Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2014 Outlander diesel loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:55 AM
Default 2014 Outlander diesel loss of power

Good afternoon all, first post so please be gentle. The story so far, bought a 2014 Outlander diesel about a year ago, it was a high mileage vehicle but had a new engine fitted about 6 months before I bought it, hadn't missed a beat until a few days ago. Coming off the freeway, put foot down and it "backfired", now I know it is difficult for a diesel to backfire, but that is what it felt and sounded like. no lights on dash, so tried to continue. When using the accelerator the car jerked and farted about, no power etc, so on with the hazard lights and pull over to see what I can see. All looks good in the engine bay, but exhaust sounds very loud at engine, but next to nothing at rear of car. OK, drive to mates tyre shop, he has a scan tool. On the way, the car is like it is in limp mode, but no lights on dash. Once, when I accelerated to get through a set of lights, car hicupped and a whole heep of lights came up on the dash, pulled over, stopped and turned engine off, then back on, lights cleared. Mate scanned via OBD, a couple of codes, didn't get to make a note of them before he cleared them and nothing came back up. Car still lack of power. Mate, mechanic by trade, thought it was a collapsed Cat, and suggested I take it to an exhaust place, which I did. Now exhaust place is saying it is a DPF problem, up until now didn't know it had a DPF, but says because it is not easy to get to, he is not sure!! I have never seen the DPF symbol on the dash or had the DPF warning come on. I don't do a lot of short drives, so the DPF shouldn't be blocked and if it is, would it cause a "backfire"? Anybody that has read this far, have any clues as to what maybe the problem? I don't want to spend $5k on a replacement DPF if it isn't going to fix the problem, Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:59 AM

Find someone that knows about these cars or it could get very expensive for you.

DPF is blocked because it is not regenerating. This can be for many reasons. Most likely is a split intercooler hose. It could also be a stuck EGR valve. But without seeing the car it is impossible to diagnose.

Having people read your codes and not tell you what they are is pointless.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:20 PM
Default Thanks

Dibby, Thanks, looking for some one that knows them as we speak. Next question of the forum, who is the go to guy in Melbourne, preferably Outer South East? Once again, thanks in advance. John

Old 01-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Default Fixed

Good morning, problem has been diagnosed and fixed, was an Intercooler hose blown out. Cheers.