Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2017 Head Unit in a 2016 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 AM
Default 2017 Head Unit in a 2016 Outlander

I'm based in Australia and have just bought a 2016 Outlander Exceed.

This model is the previous generation of Outlander so it does not have a head unit with Apple Carplay, however I have been lucky enough to pick up a Head unit out of the newest model which was at the wreckers.
As I have the older generation of Outlander it doesnt come with LDW or the 360 degree camera which the head unit supports therefore my question is:

What possible gotcha's could there be with fitting the newest generation of Head unit into the older generation Outlander?

At the end of the day I only really need to have the reverse cam and Apple Carplay support.

Anyway, ping me with any thoughts you have

Thanks
PC

Old 09-23-2018, 02:17 AM

I have a "Smartphone Display Audio" unit that I've tried plugging in to my MY14 Challenger which had the simpler "Display Audio" (6.1" screen, bluetooth, CD/AM/FM)

The four existing plugs from the car (audio/power, steering controls, camera, FM antenna) plug in to the newer unit and the outcome is:

Sound: works
Steering wheel controls: works
Carplay: works, but I had to make up my own USB cord since the existing one in the dash doesn't work for carplay. No luck finding a part number for the genuine Mitsubishi cable.
Microphone: not detected
AM/FM: Works
DAB+ : no signal, needs antenna
GPS: works (SDA unit came with antenna)
Reverse camera signal: works, tested in diagnostic mode, image good
Reverse gear signal: not detected - so the camera doesn't activate when you chuck it in reverse

I can live without DAB+, but not having mic or reverse camera prevents me from doing the swap, otherwise it's a perfect fit.

Some info I'm missing is the pinouts for the connectors on each unit, that would show what's moved between the models and it might be possible to patch a few wires to bring back the mic and reverse signal.

My newer head unit is from an Outlander so that could be why it's not detecting the reverse signal, but I have no idea how to change/upgrade the software to fit other cars. Diagnostic mode (see video below) lets me choose between Outlander and OutlanderPHEV, no other choices.

Anyone know if and how the software on these can be updated or changed to be for another model?

Last edited by stoneground; 09-23-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: remove media embed
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Stoneground, I've started the same upgrade. I bought an SDA unit from a wrecker and it came with most cables, including the USB cables. Their part number is 8755A208. The mic doesn't work, but the camera does. The DAB did work on the old MMCS, although it didn't have a separate DAB aerial plug, so its signal must have gone in through one of the multi-pin plugs. I found an image of the plugs and pinouts for the MMCS, but have not been able to find one for the SDA. Has your upgrade progressed since your last post?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 AM

DoctorBob, I ended up finding a Sony XAV-AX1000 for cheap and using that, I could buy the adapters I needed from Aerpro and didn't have to splice anything on the car side of things.
It looks like you're having better luck since the camera works, all you need is to figure out a new mic and it would work.

I put some info in this thread too, https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...it-swap-52485/ and my findings are in the attached PDF.

I hope you have better luck than me!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SDA Display Audio research.pdf (130.6 KB, 666 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by stoneground
DoctorBob, I ended up finding a Sony XAV-AX1000 for cheap and using that, I could buy the adapters I needed from Aerpro and didn't have to splice anything on the car side of things.
It looks like you're having better luck since the camera works, all you need is to figure out a new mic and it would work.
!
How is the Sony working out? I don't mind going aftermarket, but wanted to make sure that everything works as stock does. I.e. do all controls, cameras, mics, etc work? I'm particularly interested if the steering controls, including voice, work. Also, when using Carplay, is it plug in only or can you do Carplay with bluetooth?

Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 AM

The Sony is doing well, it has far more power than the stock unit so the upgraded speakers I had installed a long ago are now getting used properly.
The stock speakers in the 2015 Challenger are 15w paper things, they were replaced with JL C2 units.

To fit the radio I used the following adapters:
Axxess AX-MITSUCAM-6V (camera)
Aerpro APP9SP4 (Sony to ISO patch lead)
Aepro APP0113 (ISO to Mitsubishi lead)
Aerpro CHMB2C (Steering wheel control signal adapter)
Aerpro FP9126 (Fascia kit)

It's a bit of wrangling to get everything to fit but luckily the XAV-AX1000 unit is half-height behind the panel so there's room for all the adapters.

Everything works - camera, wheel controls, mic. Though the mic is the Sony one, not the mits one, it's very reliable since I could mount it where it picks up my voice best.

This particular unit only does Carplay/Android Auto via a wired connection which I don't mind since it also keeps the phone charged. You can of course still connect a bluetooth audio source, but that's audio only, no carplay.
Wireless Carplay is a thing but the units that handled that were not worth the extra cost to me.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by stoneground
The Sony is doing well, it has far more power than the stock unit so the upgraded speakers I had installed a long ago are now getting used properly.
The stock speakers in the 2015 Challenger are 15w paper things, they were replaced with JL C2 units.

To fit the radio I used the following adapters:
Axxess AX-MITSUCAM-6V (camera)
Aerpro APP9SP4 (Sony to ISO patch lead)
Aepro APP0113 (ISO to Mitsubishi lead)
Aerpro CHMB2C (Steering wheel control signal adapter)
Aerpro FP9126 (Fascia kit)

It's a bit of wrangling to get everything to fit but luckily the XAV-AX1000 unit is half-height behind the panel so there's room for all the adapters.

Everything works - camera, wheel controls, mic. Though the mic is the Sony one, not the mits one, it's very reliable since I could mount it where it picks up my voice best.

This particular unit only does Carplay/Android Auto via a wired connection which I don't mind since it also keeps the phone charged. You can of course still connect a bluetooth audio source, but that's audio only, no carplay.
Wireless Carplay is a thing but the units that handled that were not worth the extra cost to me.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a little more plug and play, but it doesn't look like there's a good option yet. I'm not averse to doing wiring, but I'm more concerned about undoing the install later on. I really want carplay so I'm still considering this option. If not too much trouble, can you take a picture of the head unit in the dash. I just wanted to see how stock the results look.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:01 AM

Here's a pic - the bezel doesn't fit right and I haven't had the time to trim it, but with it fitted that'll cover the gap from the original unit's size.
The mic is hanging off the Ultragauge MX display there. It's a great spot for it there audio-wise but I think it'll end up being run up the side to top of the A pillar.

The wiring sounds tricky but it's not that bad - nothing is changed/cut on the car-side so if I sell the car I can return it to stock by removing the adapters and plugging the old unit back in.
The camera adapter needs 12v power but I got that from tapping the 12v line on the ISO-SONY harness, and its earth connection is just behind one of the big mounting screws.

Sony XAV-AX100 plenty of room for the adapters in the gap.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Thanks! I'm seeing that your Outtie is a different generation than mine so the install might not be exactly the same. It's potentially good news for me, but I'm not holding my breath that it won't be very similar to your install. Thanks for the pic, I was really trying to see how stock the head unit looked installed. The Sony badge isn't too pronounced, at least not any worse than my stock Rockford badge, and it's a very subtle looking unit. I'm going to look further into this.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM

Mine's actually a 2015 Challenger, but the plugs may be the same. The Aerpro website shows you what bit to get, and it's pretty much all plug-and-play.

Really the hardest part is getting the dash coverings off and there's plenty of demos on youtube.

Quick Reply: 2017 Head Unit in a 2016 Outlander