Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander MMCS to SDA Head Unit Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Default 2016 Outlander MMCS to SDA Head Unit Swap

I've been wanting to try this swap for a while, and I have found a source for the newer 2018 radio, but upon comparing the connectors I have some concerns. Can anyone with any technical knowledge chime in as to what these differences may be? It looks like the 2016 radio and 2018 radio share the majority of the connections. However, the 2018 radio has the 3 in the top right and then the green connection. Additionally the circular connector looks a little different between both radios.
My best guess is that the two identical connections on the right are for USB output since they have a 5v 1a label. My bet is they hook to the usb in the center console. Possibly you could hook a phone directly into them with a long USB cable, although they look like a proprietary connection, so that could be a problem. To the right of them almost looks like an HDMI connection, which might make sense for the 360 camera opiton, but that is purely speculation. The green connector I have no idea... Anyone with any technical or first hand knowledge know what these mystery connections are, and if I could live without them in my 2016? I don't mind gambling and giving it a try, but I want to be pretty sure since I'll be gambling to the tune of about $450. From FCC site Back of 2016 radio
Potential donor radio (Same as FCC picture above)

Old 10-14-2018, 03:58 AM

Hiya callmesnake,
I had similar quest and I posted my results in this other thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...tlander-52335/ but the gist of it is that the green connector is for GPS antenna, yellow must be DAB+ antenna since I didn't have one and the DAB+ got no signal and the two 5V1A are the USB connections to phones for Apple Carplay/Android Auto to work.

The big one to the right of the 5V1A is HDMI-In and I have had no luck finding a source for that cable, nor the 5V1A cables.

The pinout for the 5V1A ones correspond to the four connections in USB 2, they are:
Top Left: 5V
Top Right: Ground
Bottom Left: DATA-
Bottom Right: DATA+

I tested this to be correct with a custom cable made with 0.1" headers to plug in to that socket, got Carplay working on the bench connected to a 12V supply.

When installed into the car two things don't work for me - handsfree mic, and reverse camera. The camera signal is OK, I can see it in diagnostics, but the reverse signal doesn't make it so it doesn't activate when I back up.

BTW I'm trying this with an Outlander Carplay unit in a MY14 Challenger - might be too different to work but Outlander to Outlander the wiring could be similar enough. I'm not brave enough to start cutting wires in the car and really need that mic and camera so I'll get an aftermarket head unit to solve that but I hope my adventures give you some useful info.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Interesting, thanks a lot for posting this. I'm used to owning a car with a lot more of a following, and everything being pretty easy to find online, but the Outlander is not at all like that in the US. It's hard to find any info on modding it. I wish we had a way to view wiring diagrams for the vehicles. Any chance you have a picture of the back of your radio so I could compare what your connections look like?

I actually did manage to find a pinout for my radio in this forum... https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/outlander-new-shape-aftermarket-stereo-factory-camera-46143/page6/#&gid=1&pid=1

Since my radio has a USB adapter if I made a custom bridge form the existing cable to the new radio, I might be able to retain the existing usb location in my car. DAB+ isn't a thing here, so it really comes down to if the MIC and the rear camera would work on my car. What is the HDMI in for? Rear seat entertainment or 360 camera? Do you have any idea?

Last edited by callmesnake; 10-14-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM

For anyone looking to complete this swap, stay tuned, I ordered my SDA radio today, so we'll know soon enough if going from a 2016 MMCS to a 2017 SDA works, and what modifications are required. The USB connections will have to be fabricated at the very least.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Awesome post. I don't have an outlander (still not sure if it's the right car for me) but this forum need more hands-on folks. I'm curious why you want the SDA vs going aftermarket?

The HDMI looks like 'type E automotive connector'. I get the feeling that there is an external video controller that receives the 4 cameras, which then feeds via HDMI port.

Mitsubishi is not in the business of making connectors or making one-off cables. I bet if you are a little creative in your search terms (such as: automotive or Rockford), you might find the USB connector cable. Alternative (might actually be a better option) is to open the unit and de-solder the USB connector and solder in a SHORT corded female USB receptacle.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:58 PM

If the SDA unit doesn't work out, I probably will go aftermarket. At this point I want to do it for the challenge. There is just so little info out there it's a struggle. Good point about the cables. The old style Mitsu ones look like they are available on Ali-Express. this new 2x2 style though don't seem to be out in the wild. I believe that Kenwood makes this radio, so they may be a source for the cables... There is for sure no part number on any of the publications I've looked at though. Ultimately, if they radio works, my plan is to make a jumper cable form the radio to the existing Mitsu USB that plugged into the old radio so I can use the factory connection and placement. Soldering a USB onto the board is a fantastic idea. That's a long way off though... I have to figure out if I can even get the radio close to working. I recently learned that I have the Display audio radio, not the MMCS. My radio looks like MMCS but doesn't have the 3 middle buttons for nav. There are no pinouts available online at all for that radio, so it's all quite a mystery. I did learn that there is an installation kit to go from my radio to the MMCS one though, and MMCS has all the same wires as the SDA, so I may have to follow that path... So many things to look at when the radio finally arrives. And it's my wife's car so I can't have it disassembled for long periods of time... It also doesn't hurt I got a screaming deal on the SDA unit. Junkyard really mispriced it so if it doesn't work I'll end up making a profit on ebay reselling it.

Last edited by callmesnake; 10-17-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 AM
Default Any update?

Originally Posted by callmesnake
For anyone looking to complete this swap, stay tuned, I ordered my SDA radio today, so we'll know soon enough if going from a 2016 MMCS to a 2017 SDA works, and what modifications are required. The USB connections will have to be fabricated at the very least.
do you have an update on your journey?

Old 04-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Hi,

I have (somewhat) successfully swapped my MMCS unit for the SDA in my MY2016 4H outlander Phev. I have the issue with the mic not working and wondered if anyone had come across a fix for this? Also the preheat/charge timers from the head unit are not accessible. Everything else is working great though including Apple CarPlay after purchasing the cable 8755A296 and facia 8718A030

Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Default Radio

I manage to get the dab + working with an iso radio splitter to iso and smb converter and connecting an smb to fakra. For the mic possibly the 2017 cars and newer have a different part number and give a different resistance causing the radio not to detect?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 AM

Would you be able to have photos? I have ordered my SDA and have schematics of both radio with me but it is a bit too technical for me.

Originally Posted by Foxtrotoscar
Hi,

I have (somewhat) successfully swapped my MMCS unit for the SDA in my MY2016 4H outlander Phev. I have the issue with the mic not working and wondered if anyone had come across a fix for this? Also the preheat/charge timers from the head unit are not accessible. Everything else is working great though including Apple CarPlay after purchasing the cable 8755A296 and facia 8718A030

Quick Reply: 2016 Outlander MMCS to SDA Head Unit Swap