Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

4007 / Outlander problem - Central Locking and Tailgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Default 4007 / Outlander problem (2008) - Central Locking and Tailgate Problem

Folks -

Think this is the best place to take advice - thanks in advance. Just want to get a view or two on whether the problems are worth fixing or just to stick with it.

We've come in possession of a Peugeot 4007 GT model 2.2 diesel (Outlander Clone), 2008 year. We bought it at an auction, 4wd will occasionally help during winter. Not a daily driver, but the deal was too good to pass up on a whim.

It was previously stolen/recovered. It doesn't come with original keys - there has been a generic aftermarket central locking kit fitted along with a manual key. The fob opens/closes the central locking for all doors fine - but the following problems exist (bear with me):

1. The central locking on the fob opens and closes fine. However, there is no visual representation of the locking/unlocking working - i.e. no indicator lights coming on or off, or no bleep. - Any advice on this?

2. The interior switch at the drivers door armrest for auto central locking (all doors) doesn't work. Even using the manual key in the drivers door only locks/unlocks the drivers door - Any advice on this?

3. I can open the boot / tailgate with the key fob if i press and hold, however, whenever the car is unlocked you can't manually use the tailgate button to open it - only the fob will do which gives a brief 2 second window to manually lift it open before it locks / rewatches again. These issues are presumably linked (1+2)?

4. Other problems - the Cigarette lighter, armrest power 12v and rear power 12v all don't work. - Any advice on what to check?

5. AM radio doesn't work - FM, CD player are fine (6 disc changer, original radio head unit). I've checked the aerial connection at the rear of the HU, all seems fine there, it's fitted properly. Anything else i could check?

Apologies in advance for the questions - just trying to decide the best plan of attack for getting it sorted or simple things i could do!

T

Last edited by tates1979; 10-02-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: adding year of manufacture
Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Default BCM - Body Control Module

It sounds like the previous owner/repossessor went with a serious mickey mouse solution instead of paying the dealer for the keys. The car uses the BCM for everything from the stereo, to the windows, to the door locks and alarm. The absence of 12 V to the different power outlets could be a blown fuse, but I would suspect that the person performing this chop shop update pulled the 12V to power the new centralized locking and unlocking system. And that they are tapping into the power lock control under the dashboard. So they have disconnected the locking circuit from the BCM, and thus the car has no way of knowing if the doors are locked or unlocked. If the BCM can't get answers to what is going on, it will not send the signal to lock or unlock, hence your problem with the rear gate too, the handle is just an electronic switch requesting and open latch command from the BCM (which is not happy and will not send the unlock). So your options: #1 Take it to a dealer, have them pull the add on system out and get the smart keys, which work just fine, and in my opinion are very handy, or #2 Keep going with the mods and put in an aftermarket stereo, get a new alarm and immobilizer installed with the central keyless system. But I have to ask, why would someone think this was the easiest solution unless the car cannot be taken to a dealer as there is a clear title problem. (And yes, Puegot or Mitsubishi can program the BCM with the MMCS tool). Good luck

Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Binzd - thanks very much.

yes, this seems like a real cowboy chop shop job. I’ve located the aftermarket receiver, there aren’t even connections made to the turn signals.

over the weekend I surmised that this was an extremely lazy job, the 12v thing in particular. I think they have just taken the 12v supply out of the accessories module, and piped it straight into the central lock unit, as you said.

the radio I’m not overly bothered about. I can live without AM, and unless the antenna is connected to some 12v power (doubtful as FM working) I feel that it’s just a failure within the unit itself. From a bit of research, the identical head unit suffers similar prob on the lancer.

as regards the steps forward, I rang the dealer today. Over £400 for one coded key - so approx $700ish.
Even the dealer gasped at that cost.

so I might try to straighten out the mods a little better, or reinstall a unit and alarm that I can stand over myself.

ain regard to the BCM, if I reconnect the central locking circuit and splice into it correctly, will that solve the interior central locking and tailgate issue??

thanks again for the help, much appreciated - plus any idea where the BCM unit is???

Originally Posted by binzd
It sounds like the previous owner/repossessor went with a serious mickey mouse solution instead of paying the dealer for the keys. The car uses the BCM for everything from the stereo, to the windows, to the door locks and alarm. The absence of 12 V to the different power outlets could be a blown fuse, but I would suspect that the person performing this chop shop update pulled the 12V to power the new centralized locking and unlocking system. And that they are tapping into the power lock control under the dashboard. So they have disconnected the locking circuit from the BCM, and thus the car has no way of knowing if the doors are locked or unlocked. If the BCM can't get answers to what is going on, it will not send the signal to lock or unlock, hence your problem with the rear gate too, the handle is just an electronic switch requesting and open latch command from the BCM (which is not happy and will not send the unlock). So your options: #1 Take it to a dealer, have them pull the add on system out and get the smart keys, which work just fine, and in my opinion are very handy, or #2 Keep going with the mods and put in an aftermarket stereo, get a new alarm and immobilizer installed with the central keyless system. But I have to ask, why would someone think this was the easiest solution unless the car cannot be taken to a dealer as there is a clear title problem. (And yes, Puegot or Mitsubishi can program the BCM with the MMCS tool). Good luck