Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

4wd lock (can i drive on dry roads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Default 4wd lock (can i drive on dry roads)

Hello everyone. I read many threads in this forum but I can't find direct answer. I have outlander 2007 with 2.0 DI-D (remaped). I buy it new and for almost six years I drive it only in 4wd auto. Sometimes in bad conditions in 4wd lock. In the begining i think the 4wd lock is a centre diff and lock it in 50:50. Now I read that this is not true. The difference between the 4wd auto and 4wd lock is only how many % torque goes to the rear. So about 1 month every day I drive 30km road with curves. I found that in 4wd lock the car i very stable in cornering. I like it very much how it drive in this mode. My question is can I drive it this way in 4wd lock without damaging something.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 PM

*DISCLAIMER* I am speaking about the North American Spec. Outlander Sport. It MAY be slightly different than your model or region (you should add your location to your profile, so we know where you're from)

The Outlander Sport has an "All Wheel Control" system, which is basically a selectable all-wheel-drive system. AWD is normally designed to be active "the majority" of the time. This helps prevent loss of control, rather than just helping to correct it. This would lead me to believe that our AWC drive-train is designed to function the same way.

Now, a bigger question, is why waste the gas? Do you really take corners that fast that often? I would imagine you'd be better off replacing or upgrading your suspension springs instead of adding the wear & tear on your drive-train and mileage.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 PM

yeah nah. 2wd is for road use.

I wouldnt even recommend road use of 4x h.
Just learn to drive properly.

4x lock should really only be used if youre stuck or want to do awesome skids.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 AM

BOOM! Found the answer, straight from the horses mouth:

Two 4WD Modes
When "4WD Auto" mode is selected, the Outlander 4WD system always sends some power to the rear wheels, automatically increasing the amount under full-throttle acceleration. The coupling transfers up to 40 percent of available torque to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration, and this is reduced to 25 percent over 40 mph. At steady cruising speeds, up to 15 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels. At low speeds through tight corners, coupling torque is reduced, providing a smoother feel through the corner.

For driving in particularly challenging conditions, such as snow, the driver can select "4WD Lock" mode. In Lock mode, the system still apportions front and rear torque automatically, but enables greater power transfer to the rear wheels. For example, when accelerating on an upgrade, the coupling will transfer more torque to the rear wheels immediately, helping to ensure that all four wheels get traction. In contrast, an automatic on-demand part-time system would allow front wheel slippage before transferring power, which could hamper acceleration.

In dry conditions, 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance. More torque is directed to the rear wheels than in 4WD Auto mode to provide greater power off the line, better control when accelerating on snowy or loose surfaces, and enhanced stability at high speeds. Rear wheel torque transfer is increased by 50 percent over the amounts in 4WD Auto mode - meaning up to 60 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration on dry pavement. When in 4WD Lock mode, torque at the rear wheels is reduced by a smaller degree through corners than with 4WD Auto mode.
Copied and pasted directly from a Mitsubishi Motors Press Release. Full text, including a lot more info, can be found HERE.

Feel free to enjoy the increased performance that your AWC system was specifically designed for. (Even though IMO it's completely unnecessary and a needless waste of fuel )

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Akzle, this is not a normal 4wd setup. My Ranger has a traditional setup and you'd never use it on dry pavement. The Outlander can be used in Auto and Lock on dry pavement. It helps considerably when accelerating. Personally, I wouldn't use Lock while tooling around town. Auto work just as well.
My wife never touches the selector **** and she stays in Auto mode. I'll go to 2WD when on the highway. We rarely go into Lock, except for deeper snow or ice.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM

yes i did realise that. Sounds like a front wheel drive with some quattro type ****. Altho the quattro boxes are awesome.

I may write a book... "why americans feel the need to drive faux 4x4, and other small mysteries"

Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 PM

I wasn't sure you did, talking about "4x h". Technically 2wd would only be for road use...wouldn't want to use it much off road. 4wd auto is just fine for the road as well. I wouldn't use lock mode, but some have said on here that they do with no issues. Sounded like you were talking about a traditional system, not what the Outlander has. I'll have to take your word on the Quattro system, don't know it. There weren't many of those around my part of the globe.

The "old school" 4x4 open differential system is not all it is cracked up to be. It may be rugged, but there are better designs out there. The 2nd gen Outlander's is pretty good for the vehicle is supports.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

sorry, i meant that i realised that, after being told here. I dont have much to do with new (last 10- 15year) cars.
Seems a silly system, but i guess theyre designed for the lowest common denominator.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
I may write a book... "why americans feel the need to drive faux 4x4, and other small mysteries"
Wow, id hate to live with the negativity and judgmental attitude you do. "Faux" 4x4, really. Would you call the Ferrari 4RM or the Subaru AWD "Faux". The Porsche 959 had variable torque split front to rear, would you call that a fake 4wd? They certainly werent built for the "lowest common denominator". I would say SMART is a better word. I know we're not talking exactly apples to apples, but why would you want to evenly split power to 4 wheels when those 4 wheels are NEVER under exactly the same load.

Last edited by ckmecha; 08-28-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Wow, id hate to live with the negativity and judgmental attitude you do. "Faux" 4x4, really. Would you call the Ferrari 4RM or the Subaru AWD "Faux". The Porsche 959 had variable torque split front to rear, would you call that a fake 4wd? They certainly werent built for the "lowest common denominator". I would say SMART is a better word. I know we're not talking exactly apples to apples, but why would you want to evenly split power to 4 wheels when those 4 wheels are NEVER under exactly the same load.
yes. I would call all of those vehicles faux 4x4. Anything branded 'suv' is a faux 4x4.

And yes. Despite the price tags, those are exactly designed for the lowest common denominator.

To define: Driving all 4 wheels doesnt qualify. To qualify as a real 4x, the rear wheels must be driven, with the front engaged as needed.
Theyre not designed for driving on the road.

I see no point in yuppies driving (usually very poorly) suvs.

All the 'safety features' of the last decade (abs, ie) were designed to counteract bad (common) driving.

Its not negativity. Its a well gained cynicism based on undeniable observation. In this case, people who live in cities and have 4x4s are weird, (a mystery) probably with some kind of mental condition.

Last edited by Akzle; 08-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 4wd lock (can i drive on dry roads)