Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

4x4 to 0x4: Should I replace transfer box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 AM
Default 4x4 to 0x4: Should I replace transfer box?

Hello everyone.
New member here and I'm glad I found you guys.

I am the proud owner of a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4l petrol, auto transmission.
It's a great car, and has served me very well so far in rural Ireland.

I bought it second-hand last year and ran it through an official Mitsubishi service centre which (quite expensively) said everything was fine with the car except for a bushing which I had replaced.

However last week whilst I was driving on the motorway, the car lost power and I had to coast it in to the hard shoulder, then get the car towed to my local garage. Just seconds before the car lost power I felt a loud knock under the left side of the car, and there was a faint smell of burnt rubber so thankfully I had begun to slow down and hence the car did not lose power at full motorway speed.

My mechanic looked at the car this morning and tells me the transfer box which sends power to the rear axle is "knackered" because something has sheared off inside it. This caused the car to lose power. He can't say what caused this malfunction besides "possible metal fatigue".
I am very surprised by this as I use the car for a daily three-mile commute, and very occasionally some light off-road driving on grass tracks for my job.

Anyway, a new transfer box from Mitsubishi costs c€1600 and I can't afford that. Outlanders are rare here in Ireland so I'm not confident of finding a used part and reconditioning it.

My mechanic, who confesses he's no expert on Mitsubishi cars, suspects the Outlander's parts may be interchangeable with a Pajero or Lancer and these cars are more common in Ireland.

Does anyone know if this is the case as I am most definitely not in a position to buy a new transfer box?

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks-a-million.

Western.