Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Accident repair 2008 Outlander (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Default Accident repair 2008 Outlander (UK)

Hi,

I'm an Outlander owner based in the UK who has a slightly damaged 4Work model. I've been searching the web and you guys seem to be the best knowledge base for all things Outlander!

Basically, the front end hit the corner of another vehicle (at relatively low speed).

The bumper, bumper carrier, slam panel and bonnet have seen better days, together with the driver's side headlamp.

I'm struggling to track down the necessary parts, but have found a 2010 model (ie the facelift version) which has rear damage (ie the front is immaculate). Might be a daft question, but how swappable is the front end between the 2008 shape (ie mine) and the newer shape? I was thinking that I might just be able to get the bonnet, wings, headlights, slam panel, bumper etc. and replace everything on my car whilst updating the look of it.

How feasible do you think this is? Or was the facelift more than just a slight panel change?

Many thanks in advance!

Simon

Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Afaik yours is a rhd like the JDM spec so my understanding is it was a mere facelift like the legnum and galants were so if you were to facelift yours it should all bolt up,but yes you'll need the bumper,lights,bonnet grille and many bolt the slam panel and rad support too. If you can buy the wreck cheap enough then I'd say do it,not only will you achieve what you did but you'll guarantee the facelift swap is do able.
I'd do it to let you know but I keep getting outbid by the high rollers in auction.
I do however have a facelift front bumper lol

Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 AM

I tried this but there were just to many parts needed to get it to work,
My main problem was the engine was a 2.0did and all the newer ones are 2.2vitec or something.
A lot of the wiring and engine parts are mounted on the front slam panel so you needed that from the newer version but the slam panel wont fit up to the flitches (inner wings/chassis legs) so it would all need cutting about so I gave up and went with the original parts.

Also the newer headlights don't just plug in, you need the wiring and the controllers but then they still won't work as the headlight controlers are matched to the speedo head or something so I would have had to get that as well. I got worried that I could have the mileage changed on the 'new' speedo head but the VIN number is also stored in the speedo head and I could just see me having problems if I came to sell or part-ex the car

If yours has the same engine as the breaker you may have a better chance but the lights are still going to be a pain

Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

I doubt that hotponyshoes Mitsubishi would NOT make such things difficult if I had a wreck and a facelift for parts I'd show you it can be done but these wrecks are still worth loads here

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

My main 2 problems were:
My car was a 2.0 diesel which is actually a VW engine.
The wreck was a 2.2 Mitsubishi engine

The main front panel (the bit behind the bumper) holds all the rads and was not the same shape at the outer ends as mine so looked like a pain to change.

I also would have had problems with the radiator mounting as it was not the same plus mountings for various other bits.

You would have to use the newer front panel as the bonnet is not the same shape so the bonnet catch sits in a new position and the old front panel does not come up far enough.

With the headlights:
My existing ones (2007) are not HID. The 2010 has HID lights.
When you plug the HID lights into my car I get a 'WORKSHOP' message on the dash display, The Hid's cause some sort of issue with the fact that my car has DRL which does not work the same way on the HID equipped cars.

I did have most of a front end from a 2010 here at the time, but, Mine is booking at about £14,000 (low miles) and I could buy a 2010> for £16,000 so by the time I had paid for the paint I worked out I would just be better off selling the newer parts and just getting a newer car rather than trying to get it all to work and find the odd bits I was missing.
There is also the fact that the car would look wrong for the year, fine if I was keeping it myself but if you change you cars every couple of years a 'facelift' actually knocks a lot off the value especially if you take it to a mitsubishi dealer!!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've ended up finding most of the parts to replace the damaged parts direct from my local dealer. They were actually very reasonable for some parts, but ridiculous for others! That and good old eBay and I think I've got everything I need (with the exception of the airbags) for a very busy weekend!

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 PM

What year is yours?
I might have a drivers airbag.
Are your seatbelts ok? the pre-tensioners normally go off when the air bags do.
Might have some of those as well