Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Add OEM Sirius to Base radio? 2011 GT, no upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Default Add OEM Sirius to Base radio? 2011 GT, no upgrades

This is my first post. I've done some searching in the archives but I may have missed what I need.

I purchased a "used" 2011 XLS (not sport) dealer rep car with 130 miles on it. Delivered to the dealership, titled to avoid interest charges, then never picked up by the assigned rep. Got a smokin' deal.

I'm waiting for the owner packet to be sent to me. The car comes without any of the options or packages available at the time. I would like to add a Sirius/Xm "module", preferably OEM to avoid any fumble fingered self installation issues.

Can I do this with a simple module install? From the posts I found I get the impression that this is a plug in located behind the glove box, BUT, I can't tell from the posts if it is really that simple. Would I need to swap antennas? Can it be done with the base radio head or would it require replacement to the more advanced unit?

I am not in love with in-dash nav units. They seem to have prohibitions and limitations I dislike. Also very expensive to update the maps.

If you answer, please assume that I have moderate knowledge of generic R&R skills. I can get the dash apart with instructions and even put it back together, but anything beyond plug and unplug requires charts and diagrams so I can do it right in 1 try.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Andylit; 02-09-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM

The unit itself would be an easy plug and play. Not sure about the antenna. Are you sure you do not have it? My 2011 outlander (RIP, someone totalled it, now I have a 2012) and my 2012 outlander had the module pre installed. I only use it when sirius has a free couple weeks. (going on right now!)

Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Or get a in dash android based navigation. They go for $400-500. Not sure about how to add sirius, but maybe done through an app? or Pandora.

Parrot ASTEROID Smart - Navigation, Apps, multimedia and Bluetooth® hands-free

If I didnt get my in dash OEM for a steal at $300, I'd buy this unit any day of the week.

I'd also unlock it and do even more things as an android based system

Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by boogunoogun
If I didnt get my in dash OEM for a steal at $300, I'd buy this unit any day of the week.
And I was feeling lucky getting mine (older non-FUSE one) for $400... Until this day

As for the Sirius unit - yes, most likely it is just plug and play. I doubt the antenna could be missing.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Haha. Yeah. n05 too. I got it from a salvage yard. Honestly, even after the phone calls and emails with pictures I thought I was being scammed. Until one day it arrived in the mail.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM

I think I paid $600 for my cheap Chinese dash unit... I was looking at scrappers and they all wanted like $1500 for the MMCS.

My '10 XLS (GT) came with the Sat Radio built in.. I didn't think it was an option.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
I think I paid $600 for my cheap Chinese dash unit... I was looking at scrappers and they all wanted like $1500 for the MMCS.

My '10 XLS (GT) came with the Sat Radio built in.. I didn't think it was an option.
Canadian XLS has more standard bells and whistles than US GT which has them as options.

Anyway Sirius is not built into MMCS, it is a separate unit.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Default XLS - NOT GT, My bad

More questions.

There is a bulky plastic pod on the inside of the windscreen just to the right of the rearview mirror.

Is this a GPS/Sirius antenna?

Should I assume that the primary harness in the dash has plug/socket connectors for the various possible upgrades, or is the harness specific to the trim level at time of installation?

Any word on the actual part numbers for the Sirius module? GPS unit? Antenna(s)? Cables/Harnesses?

The various PDF's of parts catalogs are not very helpful.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Andylit
More questions.

There is a bulky plastic pod on the inside of the windscreen just to the right of the rearview mirror.

Is this a GPS/Sirius antenna?

Should I assume that the primary harness in the dash has plug/socket connectors for the various possible upgrades, or is the harness specific to the trim level at time of installation?

Any word on the actual part numbers for the Sirius module? GPS unit? Antenna(s)? Cables/Harnesses?

The various PDF's of parts catalogs are not very helpful.
Thing next to mirror is rain/light sensor.
Sirius antenna is in same place as radio antenna.
GPS is in the dash above the MMCS.

If you don't have Sirius there will be unoccupied connector above right kick panel, behind lower glovebox. It is partially visible over here:

Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Here it is:

Quick Reply: Add OEM Sirius to Base radio? 2011 GT, no upgrades