Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Adding Bluetooth Audio to '08 Outlander XLS w/ nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Default Adding Bluetooth Audio to '08 Outlander XLS w/ nav

So basically, the wifey got a new smartphone, and wants Pandora. I'm more than happy to oblige, and so will be installing some BT Audio for her, because while hers did come with BT handsfree, it lacks audio. BUT, it does have those nifty RCA inputs on the back of the center console for video and such.

So here's what's going to happen. I've ordered a dual USB charger, and a Blackberry Music Gateway. The BMG has A2DP BT audio, and is powered by a USB connection, and will output using a stereo plug (it actually comes with a 3.5mm cord and a 3.5-RCA cord).

The BMG will be located inside the center console, as will the charger/adapter thingy. One USB port will be used to charge the phone, the other will be used to power the BMG. I'm going to add a small switch that will let me switch between the BMG and the aux ports (so if for some unknown reason she wanted to use the existing ports she could).

Anyways, that's the plan. Total cost is about $50, stuff should be coming in soon. She's going to use it externally at first, but it'll get hardwired pretty quickly. With any luck, it will start up automatically when it gets power, and will then get hidden inside the center console, otherwise it will have to get put somewhere accessible. Will update with more info for anyone interested once things get moving.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM

This a great idea. I have been looking for a solution to plugging in my phone to the AUX inputs in the back every time I get in the car. I didn't know that this BMG existed.
I hope it will work at the same time as the navigation's bluetooth. What I want is the ability to listen to music through the BMG but still be able to take calls with the car's hands free system. Look forward to your updates.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM

So it came in today. It does work exactly like that. The nav and handsfree will interrupt whatever source you have the headunit set to, and since we're just hooking into the pre-existing AUX source it works like a charm.

She's using it externally right now, and the unit does in fact turn on when it gets power, thus it can be hidden somewhere in the vehicle for totally stealth install (I'm likely going to put it in under the cupholders, as that piece pops out very easily with no tools in case a new phone needs paired or something). I'll likely stash the switch in there too, as we've never used it before, and well, I just wanted to have it be able to do it still.

I'll be using this switch:
Amazon.com: 3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Selector Switch Box with A/V Cable: Electronics

I used the Griffin dual power charger from Amazon.com and also ordered the BMG from Amazon. Be aware that the package did NOT include the USB cable, it's a standard USB to Mini-USB (note NOT micro USB), these are cheap but I had an extra one from something... camera, PS3 controller, who knows. Probably should order a replacement one for whatever I found that one for...). It does include the cables to plug in to the RCA ports in the back of the center console however.

Anyways, it works great, and if you use the same parts I used, you shouldn't have any noise issues. They're not the cheapest parts, but they're decent quality and IMO not expensive. The whole setup is ~ $60.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the info. I just got mine in last night and it worked within seconds. I love it, the only problem I am having is that the 12V in the center console is hot even when the car is off and my phone stays connected when I am in the house. No biggie especially for how nice it is to have this added functionality.
By the way, I can't believe how small the BMG is and how well it works.