Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Advice for a possible new Outlander owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Default Advice for a possible new Outlander owner

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new small suv. I've visited the mitsubishi dealer and I really liked the 2016 Outlander.

I thought i'd pop in here and ask actual owners how they feel about the car and if they have any advice for a prospective new owner.

Some questions I have are... Is the 19,600 I've negotiated the dealer down to for the ES model a good deal? Or should I pay an extra grand for the SE model?

Is it difficult to install an aftermarket subwoofer/amp in this car without voiding any warranties?

What is mitsubishis future in the USA? One thing I don't feel sure about is how Mitsu is discontinuing models like its ready to pack up and leave the US market. What happens to our warranty if they do go?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 PM

I love my 2016 Outlander SE. IMHO, its build quality is close to Lexus.

You should be able to get a SE for about $20,000 plus tax.

No one knows Mitsubishi's future. But US law forces the manufacturers to honor the warranty even after they left. If Mitsubishi leaves the US market, they will have to contract other dealers for warranty service. They will also have to provide the parts for certain years.

I had a Suzuki SUV before. After Suzuki left, our local Hyundai dealer picked up the warranty work.

BTW, Mitsubishi has a $500 loyalty rebate. You do not have to own a Mitsubishi car. Saturn, Suzuki, Scion, or Isuzu owners are also eligible. So basically all those dead brands' owners are Mitsubishi's loyal customers.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 AM

20,000 for the SE hm? Sounds like a good deal however I do not qualify for the millitary discounts they have at the moment.

I got them down to 19,600 for the ES but they were not very willing to negotiate on the SE. I think I will try another dealership. Something I do have on my side is time as I am in no hurry to get into something im not ready for. I might wait for better deals when the new models come out.

Unfortunately, I don't own any of those I currently drive a Ford Taurus.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LABAMBA
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new small suv. I've visited the mitsubishi dealer and I really liked the 2016 Outlander.

I thought i'd pop in here and ask actual owners how they feel about the car and if they have any advice for a prospective new owner.

Some questions I have are... Is the 19,600 I've negotiated the dealer down to for the ES model a good deal? Or should I pay an extra grand for the SE model?

Is it difficult to install an aftermarket subwoofer/amp in this car without voiding any warranties?

What is mitsubishis future in the USA? One thing I don't feel sure about is how Mitsu is discontinuing models like its ready to pack up and leave the US market. What happens to our warranty if they do go?

Any help is appreciated!
I recommend going with the best top of the line model you can afford, if you do not later on down the road you will regret it and spend more on aftermarket that leaves you wanting. Shop around truecar.com is your friend. I recommend getting an extended mitsubishi warranty to protect your vehicle bumper to bumper for a nice long time, always ask for a better price everything is negotiable. Mitsubishi just got bought out by Nissan and they are planning a big roll out of SUVs/Crossovers/Electric Vehicles. They have been doing extremely well and are committed to staying and expanding in the US.
No other brand gives you bang for your buck like Mitsubishi I have had three of them already!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the advice Serpentor. Honestly, the ES model would be just fine for what I need it to do. The only reason I'm considering the SE for is the backup camera as I live in a busy area with street parking and a backup camera is really useful. The higher end models seem to lose the value that i'm coming to Mitsubishi for. And leather seats will just cook my *** in this California heat.

I hope Nissan buying out Mitsubishi really does make it so the stay around. From what I hear everywhere, the quality and realiability is there. They just seem to need more technology in their cars. In the case of the Outlander the engine does seem dated.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice Serpentor. Honestly, the ES model would be just fine for what I need it to do. The only reason I'm considering the SE for is the backup camera as I live in a busy area with street parking and a backup camera is really useful. The higher end models seem to lose the value that i'm coming to Mitsubishi for. And leather seats will just cook my *** in this California heat.

I hope Nissan buying out Mitsubishi really does make it so the stay around. From what I hear everywhere, the quality and realiability is there. They just seem to need more technology in their cars. In the case of the Outlander the engine does seem dated.
I would go for the SE

Mitsubishi Planning Compact Electric SUV With 250 Mile Range By 2020

Old 08-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Hi all,

Any help is appreciated!

I have had 5 Mitsu's total...4 Lancers and my current 15 Outlander SE AWC...have had zero problems..small warranty stuff aside..always fixed with no worries.

Drove my 09 Lancer 285,000 km when I traded it in...ran like a top..I do alll the required maintenance at the dealer...no issues.,,the others were 140 k..or so and my wife totalled my 13 Lancer...7 airbags !! she was ok..just a little bump and bruise thing.

The warranty and features at this price point are really solid...for someone who drives average or lower KM/Miles per year...these vehicles will last for the warranty period and beyond..with proper maintenance.

Best of luck !!

FYI...Nissan has taken a 34 % interest is Mitsu...NOT "bought them out"

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-win-deal.html

Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM

For the same reason, we did not buy the leather seats SEL model. But I do prefer SE. Besides backup camera, SE also has FAST-Key which is really convenient. Fog lights and heated seats are nice too.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 PM

I have a different perspective. Nissan's reliability is horrible and I hope they don't drag Mitsubishi down. They might sell more with better marketing but I strongly feel that Mitsubishi is much more reliable than nissan. Plus Nissan is all CVT now. I'm still sticking to the tried and tested 6 speed auto.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 PM

The more research I do the more I lean towards the SE. I think it is definitely worth the extra money. Push start, backup cam, leather steering wheel, fog lights. It's a lot for just an extra couple hundred. Also the SE will probably keep a lot more of its value down the road than the base model.

Now I just have to find a dealership that is willing to sell for what I want to pay. And I definitely want it in white

Hopefully soon i'll be on here looking up the maintenance threads as I do all that stuff myself.

Thank you all for the replies!

Last edited by LABAMBA; 08-23-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice for a possible new Outlander owner