Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

aftermarket HID installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Default aftermarket HID installation

I tried to search for an answer but I think the search function is broken, it won't give me any results no matter what I type in.
Anyway, I bought aftermarket HID kit to install on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 4WD (Canadian model) and it won't turn on.
Any idea why? Please help thank you

PS: I tested ballasts and bulbs in another car, they work just fine.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Default RE: aftermarket HID installation

MAKE SURE UR LIGHT ARE SWITCH ON WITH DAYTIME RUNNIG LIGHTS ON THEY WILL FLICKER AND GO OUT MAYBE EVEN BLOW THE FUSE AND IF THAT DONT WORK SWITH THE POSITIVE NEGATIVE WIRE AROUND

Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Where did you buy your kit? How much did you pay ?

Let us know when you get it running... I want an HID kit for mine too.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 PM

$66 shipped but that's a waste of money if they dont work. bump for solution

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM

what brand is ur HID? I asked the dealer here in edmonton bout warranty being voided. He said as long as I change the wire harness from the factory lights I should be fine. Apparently he said hid puts out more power and that could be a problem. Did you change your wires? I am not sure if it's true I think he was just saying that so I pay more for labor and parts. Did you install this yourself, is it easy to do?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

what brand is ur HID? I asked the dealer here in edmonton bout warranty being voided. He said as long as I change the wire harness from the factory lights I should be fine. Apparently he said hid puts out more power and that could be a problem. Did you change your wires? I am not sure if it's true I think he was just saying that so I pay more for labor and parts. Did you install this yourself, is it easy to do?
That shouldn't be an issue then, since the ballasts connect to the stock plug (the one that goes into the halogen bulb). The ballasts control the power output to the HIDs. The stock wiring only spits out the stock amount of power. It shouldn't void any warranty, unless the HID kit is crap and the ballasts try to suck up too much power and end up burning the stock wires.

I would make sure that you have the correct HID kit. If it works on another car and your stock lights still work fine, then I would assume that you don't have the correct kit. Don't flip the positive and negative wires either. Deal with the issue of the HIDs not coming on only, if you switch the leads around you may end up dealing with more than you anticipated. You want to be able to return the Kit if the issue is compatibility; you won't get to return them if you burn them up.
If you bought a US kit, that could be your issue since the US does not have a mandatory DRL regulation on their cars. Thus, no electrical provision for them.

Give us more info too. All we know is that you bought an HID kit for $66 and they don't work on your Outie, but they do on someone else's car. Link us to the kit and perhaps pics of your install, but definitely some more info about your install. Notice that we are all shooting in the dark to help.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Has anyone here done a successful HID installation here in Canada with DRL? If so, what kit, how much and from who? I would greatly appreciate this information.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 AM

Has anyone here done a successful HID installation here in Canada with DRL? If so, what kit, how much and from who? I would greatly appreciate this information.

[/quote]

I have not done the HID but I have been asking the dealership and other HID installers. From what they have told me with the DRLs, you have to have extra work done. You will need to add a DRL module, resistor and I think an extra relay. Since the DRL is running on your low beam they said to either use the hi beam or fog light, hence the extra work.

The dealership that I have been in contact withthey were looking into getting the KDG Kits.Which would run about $400 he said. Their are others like Mtecs, Xenon storm, GT HID, I guess it depends who carries them in your area. In Edmonton, I have these for my option. Right now I more into getting in theGT HID,it would cost me$525+tax installed. The Xenon storm are $250, GT HID$295, Mtecs are $425(KITS ONLY).

Sorry to steal this thread but, does anyone know the legal kelvin in Canada(Edmonton)?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM

FYI... This is what my installer told me about HID Kit on my 07 Outlander(Canadian model)

Also there experince with HID kits on that truck has been a disater. The
harness provided for headlamps is not sufficient to control the ballasts.
I would have to wire a seperate harness and use factory wiring as a
controler. Having said that, they also have had heavy discoloration in the
lens after a period of time. The HID thermal temp exceeds what the lens
was designed for. Mitsu can change your fogs to DRL's but need to confirm
the truck has the fuse box required to do so.
It is a firmware flash done by dealer only.

What to do now? I really want HIDS!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

FYI... This is what my installer told me about HID Kit on my 07 Outlander(Canadian model)

Also there experince with HID kits on that truck has been a disater. The
harness provided for headlamps is not sufficient to control the ballasts.
I would have to wire a seperate harness and use factory wiring as a
controler. Having said that, they also have had heavy discoloration in the
lens after a period of time. The HID thermal temp exceeds what the lens
was designed for. Mitsu can change your fogs to DRL's but need to confirm
the truck has the fuse box required to do so.
It is a firmware flash done by dealer only.

What to do now? I really want HIDS!!!

Not sure I am believing this... I don't think there should be any technical issues behind this. The regluar bulbs draw plenty of current. The voltage and amperage supplied should be enough to drive the ballasts. The dicolouration is also hard to believe. I highly doubt that the HID version of these headlights sold in the USA uses a different case or plastic. The only difference is that they have the auto-levelling feature...

I think I smell a challenge I might have to step up to...