Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Installed a Curt Hitch...No problems what so ever!

Installed the factory wiring harness...Problems haha

Everything is hooked up correctly, but it isn't working. There is appx 12v (I believe volts) going to all 'ports' on the harness...but It isn't transferring to a trailer? also, when I press the brake or turn single lights on, there is no change in the Volts

Does the mits. computer need to be told there is a trailer wire harness installed?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_OKkeqP4Y

found this youtube clip from etrailer showing the install of a hitch.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM

hi

Went though this whole exercise with my 09 Outlander.

BUY THE FACTORY AUTHORIZED HARNESS HOOK UP.

For the few dollars more, thesavings and hassle are great.! its literally a simple "everything plugs right in assembly.." the outlander even has a pre drilled hole in the back compartment for the ground wire. like my mechanic (typical pro american) was very impressed wtih the ease and simplicity ..

Althought the harness, you are supposed to drop the lower fender panel, I just didn't want to do that, so I just coilup my extra length of harness, and store in the jack compartment.. and the few times I tow, I just pull it out and stick right through the tailgate..

Problem was finding the harness.. most Mitsubishi dealrships are not even aware of it, or at the time (last august) they were not listed on e bay..

Use the listiing as posted earlier in this forum..

also, since I am puling about 3,000 lbs.

I installed air bladders within the rear coil springs.. with about 30 lbs of air, they eiminated any sagging I had in the rear end.. and when not iin use, deflate to about 10, and you are back to your normal ride..

ID SUGGESt HAVING A MECHANIC DOTHIS..

I did the left side, and landed up dropping the suspension... after about five hours of work, I was lucky I got it back together, never mind a case of the most severly skinned knuckles.. My mechanic did the other side and charged me $50. Use this money for installation, from what you saved by installing the hitch yourself...

I used to tow with a blazer, the Outlander doesn't have quite the grunt the Blazer did (but still sufficient) but brakes much better ( I dont have trailer brakes... next project)

enjoy

Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Nice Job!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Default Hitch from Spain

jsrd - "From Spain, my Aragon trailer hitch. It's only visible when the hook is installed."

This hitch would be ideal. Can I ask how much the hitch came to (not including the harness), and how you got it here? Thanks, Mike

Last edited by mikgyver; 02-09-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ikeandtike
Installed a Curt Hitch...No problems what so ever!

Installed the factory wiring harness...Problems haha

Everything is hooked up correctly, but it isn't working. There is appx 12v (I believe volts) going to all 'ports' on the harness...but It isn't transferring to a trailer? also, when I press the brake or turn single lights on, there is no change in the Volts

Does the mits. computer need to be told there is a trailer wire harness installed?

I am having the exact same problem. I am leaving for Daytona Beach Bike Week on friday and at this point don't have any working lights. Any ideas????

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 AM

this is the passenger's side rear wheel (sorry)..it seems so from the picture I'll bet one wheel well doesn't have an access panel--I'm not in front of my vehicle right now--and that this question has an obvious answer... Thanks,

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Default Installed Hitch, Harness and Backup Cam

I installed the hitch, harness and camera all at once, and it made it pretty simple. I can't imagine using anything other than the OEM harness. The hitch is Curt. The backup camera install is here:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...589#post256589

The harness is a piece of cake. For the hitch, I could not detach the muffler, so I put the vehicle on jack stands and slipped it around the muffler. Not too bad of a job, but I have no idea of what torque I left the bolts at.

I sandwiched the harness plug between the hitch and bumper (I shaped the fitting with the grinder a little to make it match the contours) which works fine.

The hitch tongue is 10" from hole to ball, and allows the tailgate to be open.

Attached Thumbnails  Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE-imag0107.jpg    Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE-imag0119.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikgyver
I installed the hitch, harness and camera all at once, and it made it pretty simple. I can't imagine using anything other than the OEM harness. The hitch is Curt. The backup camera install is here:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...589#post256589

The harness is a piece of cake. For the hitch, I could not detach the muffler, so I put the vehicle on jack stands and slipped it around the muffler. Not too bad of a job, but I have no idea of what torque I left the bolts at.

I sandwiched the harness plug between the hitch and bumper (I shaped the fitting with the grinder a little to make it match the contours) which works fine.

The hitch tongue is 10" from hole to ball, and allows the tailgate to be open.

is the 2 inch raise/drop enough? it seemed too low until i looked at your pictures?

what is the mitsu factory raise?

why are some of you using a 4 inch raise?

i am buying the hitch shortly, need to know what draw bar to get.

also i bought the mitsu harness, the guys who are having the trouble with it. was it ever determined what the problem was?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM

"is the 2 inch raise/drop enough? it seemed too low until i looked at your pictures?" To be honest, I haven't attached a trailer yet.

I have found that something is draining the battery. If I go a day without driving it, the battery is dead. I am in the process of diagnosing if it is the hitch harness or the backup cam causing it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE