Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mikgyver
jsrd - "From Spain, my Aragon trailer hitch. It's only visible when the hook is installed."

This hitch would be ideal. Can I ask how much the hitch came to (not including the harness), and how you got it here? Thanks, Mike
Hi, any answer to this question? Mikgyver, How come you ended up with the curt instead? The one from spain seems much better. jsrd can you fill me/us in on the cost/availability?
Thanks

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM

ALS2000, try in Enganches Aragon website
http://www.enganchesaragon.com/es/Se...HI&m=OUTLANDER
You will see cost and details here

Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ALS2000
Hi, any answer to this question? Mikgyver, How come you ended up with the curt instead? The one from spain seems much better. jsrd can you fill me/us in on the cost/availability?
Thanks
Partially because of laziness, I wasn't finding much info on the one from Spain. And the other reason is because I didn't want to exlude the ability of using a hitch-haul rack or bike rack, etc.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM

jsrd-thanks for the website. this hidden hitch looks much better but is very expensive. wow.

mikgyver-looking at the design I see what you mean. I would need mine to be bike rack adaptable also. thanks for the insight.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikgyver
"is the 2 inch raise/drop enough? it seemed too low until i looked at your pictures?" To be honest, I haven't attached a trailer yet.

I have found that something is draining the battery. If I go a day without driving it, the battery is dead. I am in the process of diagnosing if it is the hitch harness or the backup cam causing it.

you figure out this problem?

also does anyone know what the problem was with the factory harness? i have one looked it over seems very simple. not sure how it could be wired wrong.

also on the install are you guys removing the lower rubber plug? not the one with the straw like hole in it?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

No, I don't know what is draining it. I removed the fuse at the battery to the trailer wiring, and still ended up with a dead battery. That would seem to indicate the backup cam. But I went over it all again, but cannot see what could be a problem. The only power comes from the reverse light, so it should only be drawing power when in reverse.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

I have a somewhat related question. I found a European manual online and was reading about towing when I realized there is a temporary rear towing point where you can pop off a plastic cover and screw in this hook to tow smaller cars or use it to get your car unstuck.
I looked at my tool set included with the car, and couldn't find that hook. The rear bumper has the plastic cover, which I popped off and found no hole for something to be screwed into place. However, there was the actual metal bumper inside of there, which looks like it can easily/safely be drilled to accommodate this. Any thoughts as to why we don't have this in North America? Seems rather useful if you get stuck or need to help somebody get unstuck. It must cost Mitsubishi a dollar at most to put in the item and drill the hole while still in the factory...
I also found there are tons of extra features on the Euro Outlander, which are basically implemented by the computer and require no new parts. We don't get them here, unfortunately.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM

installed the hitch, everything went pretty straight foward. couldn't torque the 1/2 tow hook bolt, no way in hell it will fit in there. just wrenched the crap out of it and loctited it in.

used the factory wiring harness. way worth the extra 19 bucks. works flawless as well. i was missing the lock washer for the ground bolt. i just loctited it in.

outside of the crap paint job on the curt hitch and how low it sits. everything should be good to go.

wish the manufacture would stop setting these up to be so low. the hitch on my subaru was the same way and it banged every single place i went with the trailer hooked up.

all done, took about 5 hours with the wiring, but i did it myself with no rushing

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
tcp
Default There's a tow hook under the rear bumper

Look under your bumper on the passenger side of the spare tire. There's a towing eye there. The curt hitch uses it as a bracing point with a bolt going through it. It's probably a manditory Euro thing to have the screw in eyelet. either works fine.

Originally Posted by ivanz
I have a somewhat related question. I found a European manual online and was reading about towing when I realized there is a temporary rear towing point where you can pop off a plastic cover and screw in this hook to tow smaller cars or use it to get your car unstuck.
I looked at my tool set included with the car, and couldn't find that hook. The rear bumper has the plastic cover, which I popped off and found no hole for something to be screwed into place. However, there was the actual metal bumper inside of there, which looks like it can easily/safely be drilled to accommodate this. Any thoughts as to why we don't have this in North America? Seems rather useful if you get stuck or need to help somebody get unstuck. It must cost Mitsubishi a dollar at most to put in the item and drill the hole while still in the factory...
I also found there are tons of extra features on the Euro Outlander, which are basically implemented by the computer and require no new parts. We don't get them here, unfortunately.

Last edited by tcp; 03-29-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: words
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by tcp
Look under your bumper on the passenger side of the spare tire. There's a towing eye there. The curt hitch uses it as a bracing point with a bolt going through it. It's probably a manditory Euro thing to have the screw in eyelet. either works fine.
Yes, I saw that, but that would damage the back plastic skirt in most situations. The skirt doesn't look like it can take too much before cracking. I found no place to screw anything in, as there is no hole in that area.
I guess I have to go for the hitch install if I plan to help anybody get unstuck or need help myself.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE