Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Default Thanks!

Rdenis and everyone else, thanks for all the advice. I put a Curt hitch on my 2007 Outlander LS, and I didn't have to drop the muffler to do it. Bought it from etrailer, and like someone else said, it arrived bent, but I was able to bend it back into shape. Recently needed to tow a boat (had just been using a cargo basket), so I called 3 dealers to get estimates for the wiring harness. One said 2.5 hours plus the part, another said 1.5 hours plus the part, and another couldn't even estimate. Frustrated, I re-read this post, bought the factory harness from dealerfit.com and installed it myself in less than an hour. Plug-and-play, and again, didn't need to drop the muffler. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi echamberlin. Can you share the install manual to the factory harness?
Thank's. . .

Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jsrd
Hi echamberlin. Can you share the install manual to the factory harness?
Thank's. . .
That would be great here also!!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Somebody knows that function has the indicated icon? This light works in your Outies?
Name:  Tablero_2.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  12.8 KB

Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 PM

I have a friend that installed that same hitch, at least it looked the same, from U-Haul. It bent down his first time using it. I think it was the bolt that goes though the tow hook that was loose.
The Mitsu hitch has some major advantages over the aftermarket unit. It mounts on the bottom and side of the sub-frame rails with eight bolts in total. The harness is a lot nicer and is all plug and play and includes a grommet to prevent future problems. The hitch only says 3,500 lbs because thats all the Outlander is rated for. It would be a little stupid for Mitsubishi to rate the hitch higher than the car it was made for.
Like you I couldn't stand not being able to lower my tail gate so I did buy a draw bar just like yours.
Don't cheep out, buy the Mitsu hitch and harness and save future hassle.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Default continuing saga of trailer hitch..helper springs

Hi great info guys..I put a curt hitch on, ($170.00) no real problem.. One bolt hole did not line up, but after removing hitch again, and doing all six equally, it snugged up no problem.. less than an hour including dropping muffler..

now I need to do the wiring harness..

Being a 09... with all my research, I cannot find a kit for the 09 outlander,

Unless someone has a clue on this, will take the advice and use the one advised earlier... calling around, most do not have a clue about installing hitches (including my dealer).. they need to read this site..

Okay, I also want to put on helper springs... I am pulling a HP Spitfire (about 2,800 lbs to include the trailer...

Easiest I have seen so far are an extra set of coils that surround the shock...
from all places JC Whitney....

any advice on both the wiring kit and helper springs..

thanks.. this has beens tons of help...

bobmga62

Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 AM

I bought from Spain the Aragon hitch/harness (totally hidden). Install details soon. ..

Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Default Easier install than I thought.

Okay I got the Hidden Hitch for my 2009 - came with the six bolts to mount in the frame and the parts to mount to the tow loop.

I drove the vehicle up on my car ramps.
Was able to get the hitch in place without dropping the muffler.
Drivers side was a snap has to install the bolts - all easily accessible.
The Passenger side - simply use a 11/16" gear-wrench (aka ratchet wrench) to reach the hard-to-get-at holes.

In ten minutes the hitch was in place.
If you got a second set of hands - I bet you can do it in 5mins.

Now - I haven't got my harness yet.
I think I will opt for the factory harness - best price I have seen is $75 on Ebay.com. Anybody know a cheaper place for the oem harness?

Cheers

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

From Spain, my Aragon trailer hitch. It's only visible when the hook is installed.

Name:  EngancheAragon_1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  32.9 KB

Last edited by jsrd; 11-15-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Ordered my trailer hitch today off ebay and was wondering what size (drop/rise) ball mounts you guys purchased?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE