Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:54 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

I just got back to from the U-Haul dealer.
I went there for them to install one of their hitches on my 07 outlander xls 4wd.
Bottom line, it didn't fit. The bolts lined up, but the hitch wouldn't clear the spare.
Anyone esle have this problem with a draw-tite?

The U-Haul dealer was great. He apologized and said that if I found a Curt, or hidden hitch that would fit he'd install it free.

I'm now thinking I should order a hidden hitch from etrailer.com and a wiring harness from mitsuaccessories.com (My local mitsu dealer said a non-mitsu wiring harness would void the warranty )

------------------

Old 04-16-2008 | 12:22 PM

Was the Drawtite Part number 75555? If so, that's supposed to be the right one according to etrailer.com.

I'd just order a Curt or Hidden from etrailer.com and then have Uhaul install it. It will only cost you $150 for the hitch andthat way and it gets done quickly without any issues for you. Etrailer.com has great prices, the customer service is greatand shipping takes less than a week.

Old 04-16-2008 | 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

Was the Drawtite Part number 75555? If so, that's supposed to be the right one according to etrailer.com.

I'd just order a Curt or Hidden from etrailer.com and then have Uhaul install it. It will only cost you $150 for the hitch andthat way and it gets done quickly without any issues for you. Etrailer.com has great prices, the customer service is greatand shipping takes less than a week.
IDK if that's the number, but it sure LOOKED like it would fit. But it needed to come out about 3/4" to clear the spare.

I'm going to order the hidden from etrailer.com and the bar someone reccomended on page 4. I'll get the wiring from mitusaccessores.com

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:06 AM

I installed my Curt hitch last weekend and just received my mitsu harness from mitsuaccessories.com last night. I won't get the harness installed until this weekend (weather permitting). It took about 2 weeks to get the harness from them cuz they didn't have it in stock and had to order it from some other place. My Curt hitch was slightly off center on the holes, but once i got it lined up and bolted in it looks pretty good. Of course on this vehicle no hitch will look that nice since they all stick out too far. Good luck with your hidden hitch.

Old 04-28-2008 | 07:53 AM

Just want to show you the OEM hitch that we use here in Europe. Actually, there are two different types, but with the other installed the spare tire has to be replaced with a tire reparation kit.

With the one shown in the pictures the original spare tire can be left in place.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16568/3DE2387A80404C74A245C1D79BBCEC0A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16568/26835F7AA939473983D7AEC17132990B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:19 PM

Regarding U-Haul hitch: I bought a hitch for my 2007 Outlander from a local U-Haul place and installed it myself (U-Haul Part # 75147). It looks almost exactly the same as the Curt hitch I've seen on this thread. I strongly suspect that your U-haul hitch was the same item as mine, but that the installation guy(s) just gave up too easily!

When I first got mine installed and looked at the clearance between the hitch and the spare tire, I was also certain that it would not clear. However, when I actually tried to unload the spare tire, I found that when the holder cage is released and dropped down, this creates plenty of "play" in how the tire fits, and with just a little wiggling, it drops out, and re-installs, just fine.

BTW's:
1. The original post by RDENIS was a big help; a major dude
2. Ordered the Mitsu harness from mitsuaccessories.com
3. Used a flexible ratchet with angled handle to install hitch without taking the muffler loose. Getting the bolts started was still a bit of a challenge.

Old 05-22-2008 | 07:03 AM

Harness question: When you guys installed your OEM harness did you have to remove the lower body cladding (black) as detailed in the instructions or were you able tofit the rubber gasket into theholewithout removing it?

There were no previous posts about this step and I already installed my MudGuards which attach to that body panel.It looks like i'd have to rip the mudguard off to get the body cladding off. You guys are typically ingenious so i figured somebody has a slick way to get around this problem.

Thanx in advance.

Old 05-23-2008 | 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: szbert

I just got back to from the U-Haul dealer.
I went there for them to install one of their hitches on my 07 outlander xls 4wd.
Bottom line, it didn't fit. The bolts lined up, but the hitch wouldn't clear the spare.
Anyone esle have this problem with a draw-tite?

The U-Haul dealer was great. He apologized and said that if I found a Curt, or hidden hitch that would fit he'd install it free.

I'm now thinking I should order a hidden hitch from etrailer.com and a wiring harness from mitsuaccessories.com (My local mitsu dealer said a non-mitsu wiring harness would void the warranty )

------------------

It is made by Curt. I bought my Curt from e-trailer.com and the instructions that were included say U-Haul right on them. I covered in detail on page 4 of this threadmy installand actually took pics and commented on how the spare tire is tight fit, and how I had to lower it to get the hitch on. The spare went back into place with no big problems. It is a tight fit, but it does fit.

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:30 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation

Hey, rdenis - thank you for all your help.
I got installed Curt's hitch. I just received the 118176 harness and I am having a second thought now: wouldn't installing it and cutting of the manufacturers connector void the warranty?
What do you all think?

Old 01-04-2009 | 08:48 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation

Would be awesome that in America offers this tow that is completely hidden. The Out of the pic is spanish and has tow… and absolutely nothing is seen
Name:  Hitchhidden_2.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  24.7 KB

The following Link http://www.caravaning.de/videos/alko...t.218307.8.htm shows a Out hauling a tow in extreme conditions, very interesting. . .

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE