Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket HU with existing BT mic? Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Default Aftermarket HU with existing BT mic? Outlander

I just picked up a new 2010 Outlander and i want to add a new HU. I was hoping that i could just use the existing microphones that are in there for the bluetooh on the new head unit. Does anyone have any experience with that or am i stuck using the one that comes with the new HU?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM

My aftermarket Nav manual stated that only the supplied mike should be used. I didn't want to risk it, because the Mitsu mike seems to be amplified. What I've done is unplug the OEM mike, removed it and hardwired the one that came with my nav to the wires of the OEM one. Then I unplugged the harness from the mitsu BT under the stereo and connected a 3.5mm mono male jack and plugged that into the nav. Didn't need to run wires, the mike is nicely hidden and everything works like a charm.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Default Questions.

Thank you for letting me know this is possible. I also want to utlize the factory mic, or at least the factory wires. Can you please explain in more detail how to do this?

Am I assuming correct when I say the following:
1. You took apart the factory mic cover where the map lights are and cut the mic tip off the wire.
2. Wired your mic tip from the aftermarket HU to the factory mitsu wire.
3. Unplugged the harness from the factory BT module located under stereo (I have a 2011 XLS so I have this as well and have seen it).
4. Ran a cable from ??? to your aftermarket HU.
I'm just not clear if you are plugging a 3.5mm cable into the factory bluetooth module or cutting one of the wires off the harness and then running that into the HU.

Thank you.

Corey

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM

1. I simply unplugged the factory mike harness inside the map lights enclosure and removed the mike.

2. Plugged two wires of a female mono 3.5mm jack (you can get it at Radishack, mine is a leftover from the steering wheel control unit) into the harness and plugged the HU mike into it for easy replacement.

3. Yes.

4. Plug a male mono 3.5mm into the 2 rightmost holes of the BT harness and plugged the wire into the HU.

Having said all that, I am now debating whether it's a good placement for the mike at all. I can barely hear my wife when she's on the BT. I'm contemplating placing a mike above the steering column, like the manufacturer recommends, so that the mike is right in front of the driver. I'll also try to have more than one mike using a 3.5mm splitter at the head unit.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM

nicely done.

But most of the mic on the market or came with the aftermarket HU are NOT as sensitive as the stock. Plus, the HU itself usually has very poor bluetooth module built-in.

Why not try the stock mic first, if it doesn't work then go with the aftermarket.

Keep in mind that the best place for the aftermarket mic is on the A panel (where the driver side airbag usually is) or behind the steer wheel.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM

The reason I haven't tried the stock mike is that the HU manual strongly recommended against it, so I'm afraid I might fry the unit. Besides, my previous car was a 07 Outlander with stock BT and the quality sucked just as much.