Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Navigation Install: Kenwood DNX-6960

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Default Aftermarket Navigation Install: Kenwood DNX-6960

Hi all! Kinda new here... but I thought I'd share my experience with my new navigation system installation on my 2009 Outlander SE with the Rockford Fosgate Package.
Name:  IMG-20110220-000302.jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  78.0 KB
Note: The headlights look fogged up because it has morning dew on it.

So far I've ordered all the bits and pieces that I think I will need for the install:

Kenwood DNX-6960 DVD/Navigation Receiver - $800 - Crutchfield
Metra Mitsubishi Mito-2 Amp Retention Adapter - $81 (after 50% off with order, and extra 10% off promo code) - Crutchfield
Scosche Double-DIN Dash Kit - FREE w/ order - Crutchfield
Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Adapter - $41 - Amazon
DP Audio Video DBC466 Rearview Camera - $23 - Amazon
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable - $6 - Amazon
3 ft. Right Angle to Straight Plug 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cable - $9 - Amazon
------------------------------------
Total: $960

Everything should be here later this week or next week...

I'll use this thread to detail my installation, and hopefully answer any questions if possible.

Last edited by firstorbit84; 03-22-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added vehicle info
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
pax

Looking forward to your experience with this. We have just made a deal on a new 2011 XLS-S-AWC without the navi package as I just couldn't rationalize the extra $2500 for that. But I would like the nav package, of course. Curious as to which year and what model of Outti you have?
Thanks for sharing this all with us.
Pax

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by pax
Looking forward to your experience with this. We have just made a deal on a new 2011 XLS-S-AWC without the navi package as I just couldn't rationalize the extra $2500 for that. But I would like the nav package, of course.
Ya, I got the wife to agree to such a big purchase because I made a deal with her that our next car HAD to have navigation in it, or else she would let me put in an aftermarket system. I feel that even if I had it professionally installed for another $200 or so, I'd still come out ahead compared to the $2500 factory nav.

Originally Posted by pax
Curious as to which year and what model of Outti you have?
Thanks for sharing this all with us.
Pax
Sorry, I suppose that would have been good info to include: I've got a 2009 Outlander SE with the Rockford Fosgate Stereo Package. In my opinion, the Rockford Fosgate package is definitely worth it. It sounds just as good as a majority of aftermarket systems that I've installed or heard. Plus, the bass is just the right amount for my tastes, even on the lower settings. It sounds even better than the Bose system with subwoofer in my old Audi A6.

I just hope that I can make it sound as good with the aftermarket Kenwood stereo as it does with the stock head unit. Apparently the Metra MITO-2 Rockford Fosgate amp retention adapter has to be manually tuned, and I haven't found any guides out there on how to do it properly. I hope it comes with instructions.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Got the remainder of my parts in today! I've read over most of the instruction manuals, and I'm going for the install this afternoon for as long as it takes me into the night... (Hopefully won't be too long)

I've already tested the rear camera on a home TV and the image quality with bright lighting is actually pretty darned good; I was quite surprised. The image quality in low light is not terrible either, but not superb. I don't think the camera that I bought has a true IR night vision. It just has a very sensitive sensor that can adjust for low lighting conditions. Oh well, it's better than nothing; it certainly was a good deal for $23, and I'll actually have to evaluate how well it works once its on the car.

I will try to take pictures and document as much as possible as I go along.

Wish me luck!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Definitely keep track of it. If your install turns out quite well, then I'm thinking I'll yank my Mitsu NAV out and put in an aftermarket one. I'm not at all happy with the mitsu nav unit.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Okay folks... everything went well except that I could not get the steering wheel control module to work

I was told by Metra tech support that their Axxess ASWC would DEFINITELY work with my Outlander... and it is clearly listed in the manual that came with the unit as well as on their on-line fitment guide.

I'll be placing a call to their tech support this morning, when they open at 10am, but I may not have a chance to open everything back up and do some trouble shooting until later this afternoon.

I'll try to post pics and some helpful pointers later today, as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Pictures! (Volume 1)

All the gear:
Name:  DSC03719-1.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  105.7 KB

For the camera installation alone, it took about 2.5 hours all said and done. I closely followed the directions in the sticky: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18705

Cut for new slot for camera on right side of rear license plate trim:
Name:  DSC03720-1.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  81.8 KB
Notes: The precut mounting location for the OEM camera on the left side was already cut out at the factory on my car, and it was too large for the bracket that came with the camera I bought. So I made a new one on the right side. It's slightly angled to compensate for the curvature of the rear of the car.

Test fit of rear camera:
Name:  DSC03721-1.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  89.0 KB

Camera fully mounted to trim panel:
Name:  DSC03723-1.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  97.8 KB
Notes: The two small screws on either side of the camera are connected to nuts that go through the mounting bracket, which is hidden underneath the trim panel.

1/2" Hole Drilled in rear hatch to pass camera wires through (will be hidden underneath trim)
Name:  DSC03722.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  57.5 KB
Notes: I sanded a bit around the edge so that it wasn't sharp enough to cut through the camera wires. I then painted the edge with touch-up paint to prevent rust.

Power for camera tapped into passenger reverse light wires:
Name:  DSC03724.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  74.2 KB
Notes: I actually soldered these connections in the rear of the car. I then taped up the entire thing together to prevent any stress on the wires. You can barely tell that it isn't a stock connection.

Final product for aftermarket rear camera mount:
Name:  DSC03725.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  56.5 KB
You can barely tell its there when standing more than 5 feet from the vehicle. It looks almost completely stock or better IMO.

Wiring done on the bench, using soldered connections.

Here you can see all of the harnesses laid out. There were four in all: the Kenwood radio harness which attached to the harnesses for the Metra Mito-2 harness in two parts and the steering wheel control harness. I basically just read through each product's installation guide and connected all of the wires that were mentioned.

The one connection that I had to make on the car was to the reverse wire to activate the back up camera. Basically, when I opened up the dash, there were two harnesses going to the factory CD changer head unit, and a third harness that was just taped up. That third harness is for a factory navigation and it contains the reverse wire which is WHITE. You can see my connection to it in the pic below:

I juist piggy-backed off of the connection, and simply twisted it on there without soldering, so that I didn't have to cut any factory wires, and in case I wanted to go back to stock, even though this harness is only used with the OEM navigation.

Let me know if anyone has any other specific questions on this step...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 AM

Have You finally managed to get the steering wheel harness to work properly? I am thinking of getting this baby:
http://homeavdirect.co.uk/alpine-ixa...-media-station
and the only thing holding me back so far is the steering wheel issue.

/Dominik

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
pax

Thanks for the pics. Looking good. I too am hoping that you can get steering wheel controls working and am looking forward to your updates. Thanks again for sharing all this with us.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the support!

I have a couple of things to try with the steering wheel controls that occurred to me today. I will give them a shot when I get home from work. Otherwise, the Metra tech support said that it might be a defective unit, since he checked the firmware version and it is up to date. If what I try later doesn't work, then I'll return it to Amazon, and get a new one. If the replacement still doesn't work, then I'll return that and get the PAC SWI-JACK. Either way, I am definitely not giving up on the steering wheel controls.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navigation Install: Kenwood DNX-6960