Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket radio in my 2014 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 05:03 AM
Default Aftermarket radio in my 2014 Outlander

I'm considering installing an Android style radio that I see on Ebay in my 2014 Outlander. I currently have the basic standard radio. They look like alot of features for very little money. Have any of you installed one of these ? Also why won't the factory backup camera work with these radios ? If I don't go this way what about installing the factory radio with the Sirius option, mine doesn't have it. I imagine there are alot of these available. What would I do for the Sirius antenna ? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:17 AM

I would recommend avoid OEM radios (if this what you mean by factory). There are lots of aftermarket radios, chose the one which has specific recommendations/version and kits for Outlander. By "kit" I mean fit panels, bracket (if any), camera (if any) and wire harnesses. For Sirius or whatever antenna see specs and requirements for the radio. There are lots of antennas on the market too, but maybe you radio may come with Sirius antenna option included?

I published some time ago a wire harness setup when I installed Alpine UTE-92B which is 1din, not Android/smart unit, but steering wheel controls and bluetooth works perfectly (which was most important for me). Plus I've got additional pocket for other equipment (instead of 2din format). https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/wiring-ill-ill-signals-aftermarket-radio-54046/

Old 09-03-2023, 04:33 AM

Thanks for your reply. One thing about these aftermarket radios is that they can't use the factory rear camera. Why do you think that is ?

Old 09-04-2023, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1949carguy
Thanks for your reply. One thing about these aftermarket radios is that they can't use the factory rear camera. Why do you think that is ?
I guess that a proprietary FW/SW or communication protocol (if any) on the camera is the cause. Many radios comes with camera option or are compatible with standard cameras, so you have to change camera. If you get lucky you may reuse wire-harness to the camera, one has to check electrical schematics. Changing camera is easy, but adding another wire-harness to the back of the car is most annoying work I think.