Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Default Aftermarket Sunroof?

I'm looking at a used '08 Outlander XLS. It has a sunroof, but the controls look different than all the other ones I've seen. The switch is between the overhead lights and the sunroof and there are 3 buttons with it that are numbered 1-3 that look like garage door opener buttons. You can see it in the link below:

2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS, $18,486 - Cars.com

Any thoughts? Aftermarket worries me a little. I tried looking at the '09s and '07s to see if it was a sunroof using leftover parts from the year before or new parts from the next year and it didn't look like that was the case.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM

Yes, its definitely aftermarket. I don't know about the the US, but in Canada you can only get the sunroof with the Rockford Fosgate system in the "sun and sound" package. This is still the case today. So you can tell by looking for that basically in the pictures.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yes, its definitely aftermarket. I don't know about the the US, but in Canada you can only get the sunroof with the Rockford Fosgate system in the "sun and sound" package. This is still the case today. So you can tell by looking for that basically in the pictures.
Would people be worried and shy away from an aftermarket sunroof? I like the car. Don't want to have problems from the start though

Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cerps
Would people be worried and shy away from an aftermarket sunroof? I like the car. Don't want to have problems from the start though
It probably depends on if it was a quality job or not. I guess if you are close by you could always take it for a drive and see if it has any wind leaks, open it, close it, tilt if it tilts and basically see if it operates smoothly, and maybe take it through the car wash make sure it doesn't leak. If it passes those tests I would probably buy it. besides you never sure if the rest of the car checks out either until you take it for a spin. I know I saw some other outlanders for sale in that area of MN very recently, so if you are nervous about the sunroof, keep looking at the others that are available.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM

I'll have to go back and look it over again. There is one other lower mileage XLS locally in the price range that had more miles and options but it has a nasty scratch that is starting to rust. The other XLS's in town seem to have more miles or be more expensive.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Found out from the dealer it is a Webasto Hollandia sunroof. The folks that traded it in got a 2011 GT and had the same sunroof put in the new one. Must not want to pay for the package with the sunroof and had good luck with their last roof. It does worry me though as there was a recall on the model that was likely installed in Outie I'm looking at.