Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Air filter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Default Air filter problem (solved)

Hey all,

got my tires swapped to summer for free at a local shop, but unkown to me, they checked a whole bunch of things, including my air filter.

So I get home and just wanted to make sure everything looked ok, and of course the air filter was visible!!!

This is a brand new vehicle for me (within a few months) and never had tried to open or change my air filter. It looks like it isn't lining up right? This might be a stupid question but which way does the filter go in? Is there a way I can tell if it is reversed?

Also, the manual says if it is opened too far, then the hinges at the bottom come apart. Is there a trick to snapping them back in since I can't see it due to the position of them...

Thanks alot...I don't want to drive the outie without the proper air filter setup...

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 03-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

There is only really one way the air filter goes. If its the wrong way, you can't close it, and clips wont attach.

Look for the side with dirt (at lease some), that side faces out, meaning air comes into the dirty side, and then comes out clean, which is the other side into intake.

So if it closes, and clips are attached, you're good!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:06 PM

^^ I wouldn't say the clips imply it is closed. There are hinges at the bottom which hold the bottom part closed, and they are quite tricky to get in.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
^^ I wouldn't say the clips imply it is closed. There are hinges at the bottom which hold the bottom part closed, and they are quite tricky to get in.

Yeah, I hear that - I struggled trying to get those locked in...I think it is finally ok....Just makes me laugh that the shop I took it to actually thought what they did was good enough that I wouldn't notice - I mean I actually saw the white of the filter when I looked under the hood - LOL

Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM

With all the checking they did, it sounds like the shop which was swapping your tires for free was looking for something else they could charge you for.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
With all the checking they did, it sounds like the shop which was swapping your tires for free was looking for something else they could charge you for.
Couldn't agree more. I also got an free diagnosis of alignment which is another story...do you or anyone else know the proper specs for alignment for a 2009 outlander?

Thanks all....