Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Ait Conditioner Problem - 2010 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 03:01 AM
Smile Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 (ZG.ZH - 11.06 to 10.12) Air Conditioner Problem Solved

Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 (ZG.ZH - 11.06 to 10.12) Air Conditioner Problem Solved

Car owners beware, especially the older ones. This is my experience and it was only solved by my experience as a marine engineer and knowng how the refrigeration cycle works.
My Outlander runs perfectly and in the warmer weather which we have had plenty off recently I wanted my Air Conditioner (A/C) working in my car and initially it would but after an indeterminate time it would stop blowing cold air and eventually get warm, with the A/C light flashing so I would turn it off. I evetually diagnosed the problem being the magnetic clutch becoming disengaged, but had no reason why.
At 81 years of age I am not as agile as I used to be so I decided that I had put up with it long enough, time to visit the experts, who informed me that I needed a new compressor, which I agreed to. Fortunately they could not fit me in for a week so I had time to ponder what had been diagnosed at the cost of $970. It did not sit right with me that there was a problem with the compressor. I know these compressors (Pumps) as they are pretty much the same as the steering gear pumps that control the rudders on ships. They look like centrifugal pumps but are actually reciprocating positive displacedment pumps, and reciprocating pumps do not work then stop working then start working again when they feel like it, when they have an adequate supply of the medium that they have to pump, so the answer had to be elsewhere.
I checked all the system for signs of a problem but nothing there, so I decide on checking the cabin air reticulation system and that is where I found the answer. My car is a Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 (ZG.ZH - 11.06 to 10.12) and when I checked the pollen filter I found that it was the original one put in when the car was made, it was not just dirty it was so clogged that there was dog hairs fluff grass and god knows what all sitting on top of it. Never in all my engineering life have I come across a filter in such a state.
Obviously the filter had to be replaced and as a precaution I also changed the engine air inlet manifold filter which was none to healthy either. I guess some of us older generation would keep saying pollen filter what's that and not even think of looking at it so this little story might change your mind.
My analysis of the problem is, that because of the virtual blockage of the cabin air reticualation system there was insufficient air passing through the A/C system evaporator causing the system to back up pressure from the A/Ccompressor to the A/C condenser and A/C receiver until the high pressure sensor would disengaged the magnetic clutch and the cabin air would get warmer.
So if you have similar problems look for the pollen filter before you take your car to the "EXPERTS" who only diagnose "REGAS" or "NEW COMPRESSOR" but do not have any idea or even try investigating the problem fully.