Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

whistling/howling sound during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Default whistling/howling sound during acceleration

just picked up an 05 outlander with 90k miles. I noticed when accelerting after a few seconds I hear a faint howling/whistle sounding noise. hard to tell where it is coming from but its related to the gas pedal. If I let off the gas, it goes away, if I get on the gas, it comes back.
Anyone experience this sound? Kind of sounds like when a teapot kettle is boiling but not as high pitched..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM

If it is RPM/speed related start checking things that spin. Belts (timing belt). Pulleys ect

Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Clint S
If it is RPM/speed related start checking things that spin. Belts (timing belt). Pulleys ect
Thanks, will check the belts. In the past any belt noises I had was more of a screeching sound, different than what I am hearing now but will check. Its getting timing belt changed soon.
Hard to tell if speed/rpm related as it stops when I let off the gas. It eventually goes away too after driving. I noticed it does not start making the noise when accelerating right away but once I am more up to speed.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Alternator going?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Alternator going?
Could the altnernator noise be related to the throttle?, as in the noise is more pronounced when i am on the gas and goes away as soon as I let off. I'll do some googling on signs of a bad alternator.
I also discovered the infinity CD player does not work, error code 03, per manual sounds like its toast. It has 90k miles so I know none of this has anything to do with mitsu quality, just at a age where things can start to fail..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

On the gas puts a load on the engine and things act different when different pressures are put on them. Also does it go away when hot after a while or will it come back intermittently even when hot. Yes an alternator (or idler pulley ) bearing can howl.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM

actually the noise gets worse as it heats up...its more noticeable when driving for several minutes. I had it at the dealer I got it from and they hear it but can not track it down. They said it sounded like it was coming from the rear. They said everything looked ok from what they can see but also said they did not want to go tearing into things either. They checked the driveshaft, bearings, differential etc..nothing obvious is wrong..
My concern is that its under a 3 month 3k warranty and are they trying to avoid warranty work.
They seem to be honest but always hear how dealerships try to avoid warranty work.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM

found this in google
A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up

I will ask them to look at that again assuming they did not already..

Old 02-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by germanshepherd
found this in google
A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up

I will ask them to look at that again assuming they did not already..
So what was the verdict?

Old 02-28-2022, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Clint S
On the gas puts a load on the engine and things act different when different pressures are put on them. Also does it go away when hot after a while or will it come back intermittently even when hot. Yes an alternator (or idler pulley ) bearing can howl.
I think i will check my belts as well but i wanted help with my noise issue. So when i accelerate and the engine is not warmed up i can feel it in my acceleration pedal and the noise comes from the front of the car, sometimes i feel it from suspension or the engine but it goes away when the engine warms up or when i am cruising at high speeds