Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Question Anyone had this problem?

lately we are having this problem with our outlander.... sometimes it won't shift out of park...

I know people will be telling me to make sure that the brake pedal is fully pressed when shifting... and yes the brake pedal is fully pressed and still it won't shift out of park. Happened to me and my wife was also complaining about it (we had this car since Mar 07) and never had this problem before.

Does anyone had this same problem?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Are you parked on a slope? I usually have that problem when I'm parked at a slope. Just needs a little force than usual to take the lever out of P position. What I do is I make sure the service brake has a good bite on the rear wheels before I move the lever to P. The work of keeping the vehicle stationary is done by the service brake, and the P lock on the transmission is just a back-up. As you may have noticed, there is a bit of a "play" on the wheels before P lock fully engages. I usually just engage the service brakes before I let go of the brake pedal, then put the shifter to P. Hope that helps.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by rcpax
Are you parked on a slope? I usually have that problem when I'm parked at a slope. Just needs a little force than usual to take the lever out of P position. What I do is I make sure the service brake has a good bite on the rear wheels before I move the lever to P. The work of keeping the vehicle stationary is done by the service brake, and the P lock on the transmission is just a back-up. As you may have noticed, there is a bit of a "play" on the wheels before P lock fully engages. I usually just engage the service brakes before I let go of the brake pedal, then put the shifter to P. Hope that helps.
thanks for the reply...

but no, the car is not parked on a slope when it happens (i think it happen on my wife on our garage 3x already and from her work a couple of times - both are flat areas). she's been driving the car for more than 2 years and this is the first time that she complained about something. we haven't have this problem before even when parked on a slope(even on our trips to San Francisco which has a lot of slopes)... i might call the dealer so i could have it checked... my wife is worried that maybe one day it just won't shift out of P position.....

Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM

You may want to check out this thread:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ght=shift+park

Originally Posted by mulder
Right, Took the Outlander into the dealer last friday and they said they have fixed it. No problems since then. I asked what the problem was and they said that Mitsubishi had known about the problem and were fixing it only when a customer requests it. Apparently there is aa bad batch of micro switches that are situated in the centre console, These switches arc together when they make and break contact all the time and eventualy they stick together due to the micro sparks welding the contacts shut.
I seen the hand out from Mitsu which shows detailed diagrams of were things are and how to remove them. The said that they dont know which cars they went into so were only fixing if requested and no recall was planned.
So if your stuck in park and it wont come out just hold the shift lock button in and then move the gear selector.
Mulder

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rip14
You may want to check out this thread:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ght=shift+park

thanks for the info.... definitely bringing it to the dealer to have it fix......

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM

update....

brought the car to the dealer and they replaced the brake switch (under warranty)

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Wasn't there a recall for this? I believe I had the brake valve replaced last time I went for an oil change due to a recall.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Wasn't there a recall for this? I believe I had the brake valve replaced last time I went for an oil change due to a recall.
i'm not sure if there is a recall or tsb for this.... only reason for me to bring it to the dealer is my wife was complaining about it.....

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bino
...my wife was complaining about it.....
To bad there is not a recall for that..

Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by rip14
To bad there is not a recall for that..
searched for one but can't find any.....

Quick Reply: Anyone had this problem?