Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone swap out their OEM tires yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Default RE: Anyone swap out their OEM tires yet?

Oh I see it almost all the time, now that it's winter, and so is ASC.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 AM

i've seen ASC a few times when i try and slide around but never ABS.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM

my ABS kicks in all the time. but i live in the mountians with steep grade and ice everywhere so its nothing abdnormal

Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM

4 larger tires all of the same diameter will not cause the ABS or ASC to not work. ABS works on relative difference in rotational velocity between the individual wheel positions which is picked up from an encoder ring and proximity sensor at each hub. So long as they all rotate at the same rate the ABS is fine. Yes, the larger tires will slightly change point at which the differences are observed, but it will still work.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Elisha
4WD and TC is not wheel size dependent.
There is actually a relationship between the operation of the 4wd and tire/wheel size. MMC released a news bulletin on how its 4wd system works and is posted somewhere around here. This is a quote:

"Coupling torque is computed using a combination of feed-forward control, which operates in response to accelerator pedal action, and feedback control, which monitors the speed of the four wheels and computes any difference between front and rear wheel rotation speeds. Information on accelerator pedal position and vehicle speed is received via the CAN bus. The system interprets driving conditions and driver input and delivers the right amount of torque to the rear wheels. "

The speed of the four wheels is part of how the cpu decides the amount torque to send to each axle. So having tires that alter the oem presets for wheel rotation/speed will affect the 4wd. The real question then is by how much with the torque distribution be affected?
More importantly if something mechanically happens to the 4wd system and you make a warranty claim, MMC could reject it if they knew you were running these size tires.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
There is actually a relationship between the operation of the 4wd and tire/wheel size. MMC released a news bulletin on how its 4wd system works and is posted somewhere around here. This is a quote:

"Coupling torque is computed using a combination of feed-forward control, which operates in response to accelerator pedal action, and feedback control, which monitors the speed of the four wheels and computes any difference between front and rear wheel rotation speeds. Information on accelerator pedal position and vehicle speed is received via the CAN bus. The system interprets driving conditions and driver input and delivers the right amount of torque to the rear wheels. "

The speed of the four wheels is part of how the cpu decides the amount torque to send to each axle. So having tires that alter the oem presets for wheel rotation/speed will affect the 4wd. The real question then is by how much with the torque distribution be affected?
More importantly if something mechanically happens to the 4wd system and you make a warranty claim, MMC could reject it if they knew you were running these size tires.

my dealership told me i have not voided any warranty so i'm not worried.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Get it in writing because warranty coverage isn't determined by the dealer but by the corporation. The dealer will get paid by MMC for the work if MMC approves the warranty claim. But if you have it in writing from the dealer and MMC denies the warranty claim the dealer will have to pay for the work out of their own pocket. Just to cover your own ASSets

Old 03-21-2009, 02:00 AM

Any one can comment on YOKOHAMA PARADA Spec-X tires, they seem to have very praising reviews & the 235/55 R18 size can fit the OUttie08.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 AM

change my OEM tire after only 25 000 km on it, not to much left on them, lol
buy 4 Pirelli Scorpion SRT.
Very good tire for ON and OFF road, HI speed also and good for 100 000 km.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Here is a useful tool to help determine the impact of plus size tire options.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
I just picked up some O.Z. Palladio 18" X 8" wheels and I'm still trying to decide what tire size to go with.

Chris in Ottawa

Quick Reply: Anyone swap out their OEM tires yet?