Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

To AWD, or not to AWD, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM

I wish wish wish wish wish wish, I had bought the AWD! I was concerned about the lower fuel economy as I live in CA and gas is hella-spensive. But I can't get a set of 80,000 mile tires to last past 25,000 (but I always get the credit on a new set back as a warranty claim). Part of that is the fact that my year was known for it's funky pedal position sensor input to the ECM. Stopped if you tap it hard, it takes off like a rocket and the weight transfers to the back wheels leaving the front wheels to spin a bit before catching (or if you really mash it, the traction control will dial it back for you). Now in the AWD or S-AWC the transfer case immediately sends power to the rear axles to prevent slip. Thereby saving your tire rubber and just being all around more fun. When I go through streams or any 'unknown' mud, I usually have to get a good run and panic all the way through (but the paddles let you force the tranny to 2nd or 3rd, it will even do a 2nd gear start if you want). The other funny thing with my year is that if you're moving when you mash the pedal, it hangs for about 1-2 seconds while the ECM is deciding which gear to hit. Just a quirk I've gotten used to without having it reprogrammed. I love my Outtie, but wish I could bolt up the back half of a wrecked AWD affordably. PS: I'm going to drive mine another 11 years at least, they cars just never die. Cheers

Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM

I know this is an old thread, but if others are still considering this topic, I say if you're buying a SUV/CUV vehicle and you live in a climate where you get any amount of snow, what's the point if it doesn't have AWD? Might as well just buy a regular FWD car then and get better MPGs. As much of a gas pig as the V6 Outlander is (with or without AWD), I'd be pretty disappointed if it didn't have AWD and probably would have gotten rid of it by now. I will say it has been pretty damn reliable, though.

BTW, binzd, I did have my transmission reprogrammed, and I still get that lag time on the accelerator you mentioned. It is annoying. I'm skeptical they even did the job.

Last edited by copyboy311; 11-14-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update