Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Ball joint discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Default Ball joint discussion

Has anyone replaced ball joints yet? Mine are starting to creak when going over something like a speed bump. Service manual looks pretty straight forward to replace the ball joint/control arm. I've been using a needle the past year to grease the OEM ones...but I think that race is about run.

The local part stores only sell craptastic Dorman units for $220. Rock auto has Raybestos on one side and Mevotech on the other for about $85 each...seems odd. Moog has finally come out with their set, but the only place I can find it is a site out of Iowa...NorthernAutoParts (Northern Auto Parts: - CONTROL ARM W/B by MOOG AUTOMOTIVE, INC). They have them for $60 each, which is about right for just a ball joint...but for the arm and joint...that's pretty low.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM

507-1845, 507-1846, right and left Raybestos/spicer. Used to sell them when I sold hard parts, before going to paint & such. Sold a lot of Moog, too. Moog is over priced. Good quality, but over priced.

Lowers are the load carrying and will wear faster than uppers. If I remember from my wrenching days, I never had to replace any uppers. Only on the Falcon/Mustang/Granada and such with the springs above the upper joint, making the uppers on them the load carrying.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Good info on the Raybestos. Would you happen to know if they are greasable? Would you recommend Raybestos for long term usage?

Last year I did the lowers on my ranger and the year before I had to do one upper. Since our Outie has struts, we only have a lower, which is held in place with a pinch bolt...super easy to take off (famous last words).

Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Spicer and Raybestos are owned by the same company, I forget what the parent company's name is. I can speak for the Spicer brand from experience, no experience for the Raybestos chassis parts. I'm assuming that they are the same.

I beleive that they are greasable, but that's a guess. The factory rep told me that all Spicer joints were greasable. He also said that non-greasable were better, longer wearing and the grease fitting is to satisify the long-held belief that greasable ae better.

How many miles on the OE non-greasable joints?

Last edited by milliesdad; 12-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM

I've heard good things of Spicer products...in terms of hubs and u-joints.

We are just over 85k miles on the OEM joints...started hearing creaking around 70k-75k miles or so.

I called Moog's tech line and theirs are non-greasable. O'Reilly's had them for $60 each...which is amazing since their house brand (Master Pro) was $120! Only downside was that you have to pay first and then they order them in...if you return, you don't get shipping costs back.
Napa's brand are also non-greasable, but are not available yet...local store said that they are starting production on them...but not available. Interesting how he knew that.