Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Big transmission clunk, Outlander 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Default Big transmission clunk, Outlander 2016

Sorry, I have posted this already but it was on the new members forum, which was probably wrong, so I've copied it here in the hope I get a few replies throwing light on my problem. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2016 Outlander PHEV 4H, just purchased with 16,000 miles on the clock, and I think there may be a problem. Intermittently, when going from Drive or Reverse into Park, with both the footbrake and handbrake on, I get a quite frightening clunk and slight jolt from the car. Other times I do the same operation, and there is not a sound or movement. I am thinking of taking it to a main dealer to look at, but am worried about the intermittent nature of this possible fault. Has anybody else experienced this, and any ideas on what it is, if it’s serious, and what can be done about it? I am currently experimenting on going into Neutral before Park to see if it still happens, but no reoccurrence - yet.
Now I can report that the clunk still happens when I go into neutral rather than Park. It definitely seems to be something that could be serious, but I'm going to have to wait until June 20th at the earliest because that's the earliest my main dealer can fit me in.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM

Hasn’t anyone got any comments on this? I’m desperate to find out what it might be. I will take into a main deale4 if not, but my nearest Mits7bishi dealer is an hour’s drive from wher I live, which is a bit of a bind, especially as this fault is definitely intermittent. My luck will be that I take it in for a day and they will say they can not find any fault. There are certainly no error messages coming up on the dash, but it really is a horrendous clunk and the whole car lurches. Plus it also happens, when it is happening if you know what I mean, when I go into neutral from drive, not just park. Ok you guys, over to you and please give me at least one reply.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:26 PM

have you checked the engine mounts? open the hood and observe what the engine is doing while someone shifts the car from P to R N and D. If the engine jerks significantly, then that might be your culprit.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM

Just take it to the Dealer...hours drive...or not. The vehicle is under warranty...tell them about the clunk...tell them to keep it until it clunks for them. Here in Canada a Dealer will give you a loaner vehicle in these types of situations.Where are you located?..honestly I would be taking it to the dealer after the second clunk..if it was mine.... and telling them to make it right. Best of Luck

Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Thanks Lancerguy 2013, I have now arranged to take this into a dealer. I am situated in the UK.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Thanks Whiteout 2010. Will check what you say but I would have thought that loose engine mounts would have seen the problem all the time, not just intermittent. I have now arranged for it to go in under warranty and am getting a loaner for the duration. Just hope it happens while they’ve got it. It should as I reckon it probably does between 20 to 25 per cent of the time.