Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Bigger Wheels/Tires & DVD question and Bodyside Moldings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Default Bigger Wheels/Tires & DVD question and Bodyside Moldings...

Hello everyone...just got myself a new Outtie a couple of weeks ago and I've been reading this forum for a few days now and finally joined it cause there seems to be a lot of informed and helpful people here. I hope that I can help out however I can in the near future, but in the meantime it's I who needs the help.

My first question is, has anyone upgraded the size of their rims or tires yet? Basically wanting to know how large I can go in the back and the front, without it sticking out more than 1 inch from the fenders. Something like 1/2 inch out from the fenders are ok...I'm looking for a wider footprint, if that makes sense.

My 2nd question is, is there a way to disable or "trick" the comp so that I can play DVDs while driving? I've read about something in one of the threads about the Nav Speed thingy being disabled and something else, but I'm not trying to disable things I use everyday...esp. since I'll be needing those things as well as playing the DVD on those long drives. Any help would be appreciated...

Now 3rdly, I've seen the Euro builds of our Outlanders and I've seen pics of what seems like a Lower Bodyside molding/moulding on the bottom of the doors. The US builds don't have that. They only offer the regular bodyside moldings, which they are going to install this Thursday, but I'd much rather have those lower bodyside moldings and the thicker bodyside moldings I've seen in some pics...I'm going to try to contact my parts dept, but I'm pretty sure that they'll know nothing about it. Does anyone have or know of where to get them? I've emailed 3 UK places already, with no response. Maybe I should call them directly, dunno...

Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Bigger Wheels/Tires & DVD question and Bodyside Moldings...

Hey welcome and congratulations. Here is some info for you:

1) I just ordered 20 inch Boss 328's with 255/40/20 rubber - increases the footprint widthby about 1 inch. Overall diameter is maintained within 1% so as not to royally f-up the speedo etc. You need a wheel with a 38 to 42 mm offset.

2) You can't trick the comp - the only way to get this working properly would be with a software hack. The alternative is to unplug your GPS antennae and cut the speed sensor wheel but you will lose a tonne of functionality.

3) Here is the Japanese site which will provide you what you want. Fire them an e-mail and they will respond in english with everything you need/want.

Full Japanese site (translated):

Autoranda Outlander

Choose the ROAR option and you will see "Side Door Garnish" 16,590 yen.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 PM

> My 2nd question is, is there a way to disable or "trick" the comp so that I can play DVDs while driving?

Please tell me you're not serious. Driving is bad enough withouthaving to worry about some idiot watching a movie while attempting tochange lanes, etc.

As far as I know, it's illegal to have a moviedisplayed on the front screen while driving.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Well, it's not so much for me when I'm driving...it's more so for my wifey. You probably don't understand...long road trip...wife nagging or blabbing about stupid stuff...me just trying to get there as fast as I can before I go nutty. "Hey honey, why don't you pop in that DVD that we just got?" An hour or two of peace...OMG, how priceless would that be?!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM

rdenis, Thanks for the link...emailed them and hoping to get a response soon. Thanks again!

BTW, the rims you mentioned are 20 x 8.5, right?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 PM

You can trick out the dvd player I just dont know how. Someone on here said they have it done. I would figure it has something to do with grounding out a wire or two.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM

20 x 8.5 is right.

BTW you can't trick the DVD player by grounding the parking brake (orany othersystem for that matter)- the MMCS relies on software interpretation of the GPS and/or speed sensor. Most factory Navs are now based this way. I can tell you that if we all had Chrysler Nav units there is a software hack for that system.