Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Booster seat in 3rd row on 2010 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Default Booster seat in 3rd row on 2010 Outlander

Hi,

I have read in a previous thread that it wasn't allowed to put booster seats in the 3rd row of the 2010 Outlander.

I didn't see a definitive answer in the thread, hence why I am asking the question. One of the appeal of the Outlander for me is the ability to put a booster seat in the 3rd row, freeing up the second row to put more adults.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi. I can't answer if it is allowed or not, but....

I have taken my 3rd row out (it is now back in). It is not as strong or secure as a the second row of seats. With the hinges, feet, etc, is just doesn't seem safe to me.

I personally wouldn't trust it for a booster or car seat.

Here are a few other threads that this has been discussed in:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ighlight=child

Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rip14
Hi. I can't answer if it is allowed or not, but....

I have taken my 3rd row out (it is now back in). It is not as strong or secure as a the second row of seats. With the hinges, feet, etc, is just doesn't seem safe to me.

I personally wouldn't trust it for a booster or car seat.

Here are a few other threads that this has been discussed in:

Thanks a lot for these 2 threads rip14... it sounds like the jury is still out on this issue, but there is some good information on these threads.

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM

I think the main issue is the lack of anchors for those seats. I doubt the seats would pose a danger to anybody, as the seat belts are welded to the frame of the car and would hold someone in with a force much greater than required to fatally injure a person. If you can safely strap down a booster seat on them in the fashion recommended by the booster seat, then there shouldn't be any issues.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
I think the main issue is the lack of anchors for those seats. I doubt the seats would pose a danger to anybody, as the seat belts are welded to the frame of the car and would hold someone in with a force much greater than required to fatally injure a person. If you can safely strap down a booster seat on them in the fashion recommended by the booster seat, then there shouldn't be any issues.
As long as seat belts are available, strapping down a booster seat is the same as strapping somebody down. The booster seat doesn't need special attachment and doesn't use the latch system, as the latch system is only for infant car seat.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Ah, shows what I know about those types of things. Then you should be fine I guess. Your main problem is going to be getting an adult in the back while driving to keep the kid entertained

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM

Oh yeah - I think I started one of those threads. I ended up using a booster seat in the 3rd row b/c it was just convenient for all of us to take one car. It worked fine and like the post above, I feel a booster seat is different from a child restraint system that uses a latch anchor.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 AM

I also agree. One of the main reasons for purchasing the Outlander over the Rav4 was because of the 3rd row. I realize they are crap and probably should not be used regularly but on those occasions when you just need an extra legal seat they would do just fine.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies everybody. It helped me get a good understanding of what is possible and what isn't.

Cheers.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ALS2000
I also agree. One of the main reasons for purchasing the Outlander over the Rav4 was because of the 3rd row. I realize they are crap and probably should not be used regularly but on those occasions when you just need an extra legal seat they would do just fine.
I thought you could get the 3rd row with a RAV4. You can;t get one in a Mazda Cx-7 or Honda CR-V.

The thing I do not like about the RAV4 and was the deal breaker for me, is that ugly spare tire that hangs off the back.

Quick Reply: Booster seat in 3rd row on 2010 Outlander