Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Booster Seat in 3rd Row?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Default Booster Seat in 3rd Row?

Apologies for cross posts in other forums but I can't find the answer anywhere and got a unsatisfactory response from Mitsu Canda - "Yes you can but check with your local police or fire dept for their opinion." And as soon as I tell this to the cops they will err on the side of caution and say no, I know I would if the manufacturer said that.

Is it safe to use a booster seat (the next stage up from a forward facing child restraint) in the third row seats?

Has anyone done this? Or has anyone come across information that definately says otherwise?

I know the manual says that child restraints should not be used in the 3rd row but to me a booster seat is not a child restraint as it just raises the body position so that the seatbelt fits over the hip bones rather than the stomach - there are no attachments/anchors for a booster seat so its not really a child 'restraint' system is it?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Thumbs down Booster Seat in 3rd Row

Just my own 2 cents worth...

The third row seat is a crap and I would not put a dog in it.......If you are thinking of putting a baby in it with or witout a boster seat you are out of your mind......

Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM

I agree with Printerman, just plain common sense.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM

After looking at the mechanics of the 3rd row, I would not. The support for the seat is not nearly as strong as that of the middle row.
Would it be safe? I would say it would be just as safe as you sitting back there. As you said, the booster seat just raises the kid up so the seat belt fits properly. But as Printerman said, I would not even put my dog on that seat.
As a last resort, use it. I would say it is still safer than the front seat, but not as safe as the middle row. If you have two babies in the middle, then your only choice would be the 3rd row.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM

H-E-double hockey sticks NO!!!

if you need something bigger - get a bigger SUV...not worth it...i, myself, can't imagine me sitting back there (did they make it for tiny legless people? where's the leg room?!)

Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM

I took my third row seat out it was a waste of weight, took me an hr, it wasn't hard to do.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't need it all the time - just this coming week when my nephews are visiting so no bigger SUV purchase here. It would make a world of difference to have a booster seat back there in terms of people and carrying around stuff.

I guess though, aside from opinions, no-one has seen anything defiinitive one way or the other?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Never put the child in the back especially if the Owner's Manual does not say you can put your child on the 3rd row seat.

It is safer in the middle and there is a seat belt on the side or the ceiling of your car with a different latch or child restrain seat belt.

Always lock your door. Just in case the car flip over and the door is unlock. you and your kids will be flying all over the highway. The Mitsu car has side curtain airbags so middle seats are better protection.

the side beam on the middle are stronger IT CAN WITHSTAND A DIRECT IMPACT.

Last edited by BEAT; 07-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM

i actually have an '07 outlander........and i have kids.

if you are thinking to accomodate kids from about 8 - 13 years you should be fine.

there is nothing "un-safe" about the 3rd row in the outlander , is is just cramped.

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Apologies for cross posts in other forums but I can't find the answer anywhere and got a unsatisfactory response from Mitsu Canda - "Yes you can but check with your local police or fire dept for their opinion." And as soon as I tell this to the cops they will err on the side of caution and say no, I know I would if the manufacturer said that.

Is it safe to use a booster seat (the next stage up from a forward facing child restraint) in the third row seats?

Has anyone done this? Or has anyone come across information that definately says otherwise?

I know the manual says that child restraints should not be used in the 3rd row but to me a booster seat is not a child restraint as it just raises the body position so that the seatbelt fits over the hip bones rather than the stomach - there are no attachments/anchors for a booster seat so its not really a child 'restraint' system is it?

Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Just so it's clear, the manual does NOT state no children in the back - it states that child restraint systems should not be used in the 3rd row seats. It is debatable whether a booster seat is considered a child restraint system or not.

The problem isn't whether to place the child in 2nd OR 3rd rows - the 2nd row seats will be taken with relatives visiting, hence my query about 3rd row seats and a booster.

The problem isn't 8-13 years since they don't require a booster where I am - the child is under 8 years but NOT within a forward facing child seat, hence the booster.

Thanks for the posts and keep 'em coming! I sense this is unposted waters for the "7-seat" outlander!