Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Bought a 2011 Outlander Sport today

Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Default Bought a 2011 Outlander Sport today

I just purchased a pearl white 2011 Outlander Sport AWD today. Can't wait to buy some things for it!

I believe the first thing I am going to do is have the body shop paint the piece of body panel that runs horizontal across the grill. It is white like the car, and I would like to have it painted flat black. That will make for a more pronounced mouth on the car, if you will.

Does anyone know who will be producing body kits for the 2011 soon? I saw one on the net by DAMD, but wondered about others.

Being new to the Mitsubishi vehicle, I am interested in learning more about engine mods. I have always been a fan of horsepower, and while this vehicle does not have much of any in stock trim, I would like to change that.

I would appreciate any tips on where to look for parts for this engine. Heck, I do not even know the engine code yet, just that it is 2.0L MIVEC. I know a good deal about tuning and have a twin-turbo Z, I just need to find out where I should look for parts for this specific engine. I will probably start with ignition, exhaust, and possibly consider turbocharging, if it is not too much of a task on this vehicle. Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_M
I just purchased a pearl white 2011 Outlander Sport AWD today. Can't wait to buy some things for it!

I believe the first thing I am going to do is have the body shop paint the piece of body panel that runs horizontal across the grill. It is white like the car, and I would like to have it painted flat black. That will make for a more pronounced mouth on the car, if you will.

Does anyone know who will be producing body kits for the 2011 soon? I saw one on the net by DAMD, but wondered about others.

Being new to the Mitsubishi vehicle, I am interested in learning more about engine mods. I have always been a fan of horsepower, and while this vehicle does not have much of any in stock trim, I would like to change that.

I would appreciate any tips on where to look for parts for this engine. Heck, I do not even know the engine code yet, just that it is 2.0L MIVEC. I know a good deal about tuning and have a twin-turbo Z, I just need to find out where I should look for parts for this specific engine. I will probably start with ignition, exhaust, and possibly consider turbocharging, if it is not too much of a task on this vehicle. Thanks
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the Mitsubishi world. Mitsu (especially the Japanese made cars) are very underrated here in USA but its good for people who actually know cars and are looking for a bargain. Anyway, I have seen the new Outlander Sport and all I can say is that the interior quality/materials make the Outlander Sport the best Mitsubishi made interior wise that is currently offered on US market.

Anyway, as far as interior/exterior enhancements are concerned, this is still a new car so it will take some time to really have some variety. As far as engine upgrade is concerned, since Outlander Sport uses the same 4B11 engine as its Lancer counterpart, I would like to know if you could fit this turbo kit: http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=608 inside Outlander Sport, theoretically it should work.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the Mitsubishi world. Mitsu (especially the Japanese made cars) are very underrated here in USA but its good for people who actually know cars and are looking for a bargain. Anyway, I have seen the new Outlander Sport and all I can say is that the interior quality/materials make the Outlander Sport the best Mitsubishi made interior wise that is currently offered on US market.

Anyway, as far as interior/exterior enhancements are concerned, this is still a new car so it will take some time to really have some variety. As far as engine upgrade is concerned, since Outlander Sport uses the same 4B11 engine as its Lancer counterpart, I would like to know if you could fit this turbo kit: http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=608 inside Outlander Sport, theoretically it should work.
Wow, I wish similar kit were available for 6B31, I'd love to have about 300hp on my Outlander

Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Perfect! Thanks

That looks like it would work.

See, I don't want complete gas mileage loss, but 148HP is not all that snappy. So I think the combination, with exhaust and ignition, should be an incredible package for the Sport. At only 3100LBS curb weight, I'm sure the power should translate quite well.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Well after a few days now with the vehicle, I can say that I am now absolutely in love with this thing.

I have a few questions, though.

First, how does this cvt transmission actually work? What I mean is, when does it work? If I am in drive mode, then I notice the cvt working when I push the gas down. There are no apparent shifts. In sixth gear in drive mode, it has cvt action, but in sport mode that same gear acts like a solid manual gearing. I believe anyways. When I shift the vehicle using the paddle shifters, it feels like a straight manual without cvt action in all gears. Meaning the engine travels through the rpm range in each gear and then rpm drops upon the shift. It's as if there are two transmissions instead of one, and a little confusing.

Second, what is different on a turbo kit intended for the cvt transmission? Just trying to figure out why I need the cvt turbo kit instead of any of the others for the lancer.

Third, how much horsepower can this stock engine handle, before stronger pistons and rods are needed? How much power can the transmission handle? I would like to install a turbo kit, but I would like to use a turbo that can flow enough air for about 350hp. I would be changing out the exhaust and fuel system along with it.

Thanks for help answering these questions.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 AM

Just wondering how much did you pay for your outlander sport?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM

With the extended spoiler, corner extensions, alloy fuel door, without sunroof, without navigation, $25,770 out the door.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Hello Matt!
Congratulations on your new Ride! I would be keeping my eye on Hasepro, as well as seriously considering DAMD. Roadest may be offering a version soon (in Japan). Colt-Speed offers a Ram-Air Intake (K&N filter + carbon heat shield = hp) as well as engine covers which dissipate hot air more effectively, as well as an ignition booster, which keeps the 'fire' of each plug at its maximum intensity each power stroke. I don't know about a turbo kit, but an intercooler, as well as plumbing enhancements would be recommended when attempting this. A trick Stainless Exhaust is also available from Colt-Speed (www.colt-speed.ca)
Your vehicle was designed for 148hp. Before pumping it up to 480, consideration to the handling and braking or stopping power should be considered. The acceleration of modern vehicles with 200hp can far surpass the 350hp of vehicles of yesteryear. How? Power-to-weight. Also, efficiency.
The white looks sooo nice. Good show on the grille. All Colt-Speed reinforcement components (replacement strut-tower bar, front and rear lower support systems) are finished in Colt-Speed White Gloss finish, FYI.
Happy New Year, and contact us for more info on Run, Turn, Stop.
Colt-Speed Canada team.
adimus, please check out Hasepro for aerokits as well.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Default CVT transmissions

Originally Posted by Matt_M
Well after a few days now with the vehicle, I can say that I am now absolutely in love with this thing.

I have a few questions, though.

First, how does this cvt transmission actually work? What I mean is, when does it work? If I am in drive mode, then I notice the cvt working when I push the gas down. There are no apparent shifts. In sixth gear in drive mode, it has cvt action, but in sport mode that same gear acts like a solid manual gearing. I believe anyways. When I shift the vehicle using the paddle shifters, it feels like a straight manual without cvt action in all gears. Meaning the engine travels through the rpm range in each gear and then rpm drops upon the shift. It's as if there are two transmissions instead of one, and a little confusing.

Second, what is different on a turbo kit intended for the cvt transmission? Just trying to figure out why I need the cvt turbo kit instead of any of the others for the lancer.

Third, how much horsepower can this stock engine handle, before stronger pistons and rods are needed? How much power can the transmission handle? I would like to install a turbo kit, but I would like to use a turbo that can flow enough air for about 350hp. I would be changing out the exhaust and fuel system along with it.

Thanks for help answering these questions.
How much power you can put to the CVT transmissions is set by manufacturers of these transmissions.

The transmissions may be sourced from JATCO (a conglomerate of Nissan and Mitsubishi) - you may want to look a little further into this. The point is, there may be a maximum amount of power that your CVT can take before it exceeds its designed use. Failures may include seals and gaskets to the internals of the CVT transmission.

The 4B11T DOHC turbo charged unit as found on the Lancer line has been fitted with the appropriate plumbing etc for turbo charging intercooling, and fitted with the twin clutch SST. Throwing a turbo on your engine would be a great conversation piece but each pedal-to-the-metal tromp would be a roll of the dice on your transmission longevity, in our opinion.

www.colt-speed.ca

Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks a lot for your input. I will order some stuff asap from you.

I am completely new to these mitsubishis. I own a 420hp twin turbo Z and know their capabilities well, but when it comes to the mitsu's, I will have a lot of questions about what they can handle.

So can you explain a little more about what you are talking about, the JATCO transmissions, twin clutch SST and etc? I am very curious to know what I need to get a hold of first to get this build going. How much roughly are we talking for one of these beefy transmissions? Is ECU modification required for me to bolt a new one on?
Before the transmission is considered, what are these blocks capable of; do their pistons and rods support 350hp? I know cams will need changed, likely, but to keep from an engine pull would be a load off the shoulders.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 2011 Outlander Sport today