Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Break-in and first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned
Default RE: Break-in and first oil change

Well thats your choice. Personally i dissagree with it. I 100% guarentee it that if you pull your oil pan off you will see shiney metal peices.

Or you can buy those oil pan magnets that you stick to the bottom of your oil pan that catches all the metal fragments.. then when you go to change your oil you will see the amount of oil built up.

I dont care wha the manufacturer says. Moto man is right.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Sal

With an aluminium engine, there is no use for a magnet is there? But you are right.. here is a thread about factory fill oil analysis from BITOG
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post835758

Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Oh crap my bad. Sorry i didnt think.

Well.. you understand what im saying

Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Manybews: Come on man you are a smartdude. How can you not see this. When you first turn the key there is an incredible amount of friction and its needed for a reason, to seat the rings. Without it, you dont have a good ring seal and you end up losing power and oil gets past the rings. It makes perfect sence. Not to mention, in the first few mins that the engine runs, the friction shaves off the little metal fragments from the cylinder wall and the rings and that ends up back in the oil.. and that goes round and round your engine. That is extremely bad if you ask me. Especially a turbo car because these tiny fragments can have a big impact on your turbo life. A good portion of the turbo DSM members know how easy it is for turbos to **** up with minor things in the oil.

You cant deny fact. I would trust a person that race prepares engines... (and wins!) over any "easy break in" instuction manual.

I have rebuilt and broken in many small displacement 4 stroke motors before and have always used and never questioned this method. Even the manufacturer recomends moto-mans theory. How can you argue with that?

EMonz where are you when i need you!!!
ive worked on cars for 15 years.
there is no reason at all to "change oil" after 20 miles. its an utter waste.
there is no more wear on the car when first started after assembly than when first started at 100,000 miles. The engines are machined/assembled perfectly. They arent assembled "dry". They are saturated with the same lubrication they are filled with.

Trust me, you do nothing of benefit to change the oil at 20 miles. Ive built hundreds of motors, and driven 10s of thousands of cars (race cars, normal cars, motorcycles, classics, etc). My own diamante has 203000 miles on the completely original engine and trans. Nothing has ever had to be done to it other than maintenence. It leaks nothing/burns nothing. It has had its oil changed every 4000 +/- miles since new.
That is all people need to do.
Although I agree here i do agree with sebba to an extent. I would never run the factory oil from 0 miles on the odo to 3k or above. I personally wouldnt say 20 miles but hey its not like your hurting anything by doing it so soon. I do my oil every 1500 miles religously and I run synthectics but I aslo do my oil alot sooner than need be. I just like t know I am clean and lubed up good lol. either way I dont care if you change it every 50 miles your only helping the cause ... yes spending money more than you need to for oil changes but t never hurts thats for damn sure

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Well thats your choice. Personally i dissagree with it. I 100% guarentee it that if you pull your oil pan off you will see shiney metal peices.

Or you can buy those oil pan magnets that you stick to the bottom of your oil pan that catches all the metal fragments.. then when you go to change your oil you will see the amount of oil built up.

I dont care wha the manufacturer says. Moto man is right.
you will see the same "shiny metal peices" on every oil change, as there is obviously wear that takes place all the time. Oil is not without some friction, albiet tiny.

the oil filter will catch anything large enough to damage the engine, unless neglected.
you really dont see any major "metal peices" when you pull off an oil pan unless somethings already shot.

seriously, if there was benefit to it, it would be recommended. No one recommends it, because after 100 years of designing, engineering, and building engines all the manufacturers on the planet know there is no need nor reason to change the oil instantly upon purchase of the car.
If it actually had some real value, it would be recommended as it would only save the company warranty costs in the long run.
If you're happy changing oil at 20 miles, feel free.. It certainly wont hurt anything. But its not doing anything but spending your money.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Sal

Sebba,
I have 700 km on the odo. Just asked couple of mitsu dealers for an oil change. First service advisor said that there is a special factory fill with additives and she does not recommend before 5k km. Second dealer's service advisor understood what I was talking about but still insisted that 700km is way too early. However, this guy said that there is no special oil in there (ala Honda which specifically mentions that). Whatever, I will wait for couple thousand km and do it.
there is no special oil. Im not sure how that myth ever got started. Do your oil change every 3750 miles (the "severe schedual" recommendation by mitsu) and you'll be fine.

all companies use conventional motor oil in all thier engines from day one unless otherwise stated.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Sorry your wrong.

The amount of metal fragments produced in the fist few miles are the equivilant to 3k after the break in.

Also the little screen stops big pieces... yes. The small fragments wont cause harm quickly.. but if they are left in there for thousands of miles YES they will.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Sorry your wrong.

The amount of metal fragments produced in the fist few miles are the equivilant to 3k after the break in.

Also the little screen stops big pieces... yes. The small fragments wont cause harm quickly.. but if they are left in there for thousands of miles YES they will.
not trying to start an arguement here, but im afraid that disassembling hundreds of engines in the last 15 years has proven that you're incorrect. There is no "super wear" that occurs initially. As I said, MY diamante has 200K on it. It did not have its oil changed anymore often than every 4000 miles +/-, and there is no excessive wear on it.
do an engine oil analysis after the first 3000 and every following 3000 mile interval, and you wont see any major difference.
even taking apart engines at 200K often shows negligable wear on almost all bearing surfaces.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

I dont see this as an argument.. its a debate. Well its obvious we arent going to agree lol

Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM

My 2 cents, well Mitsu has been in the business of designing engines since before you and I were born, so it must be dumb for them to write wrong information about how to break in their vehicles. I am not an engineer, so I would trust the engineers that built my car.

Quick Reply: Break-in and first oil change