Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Break rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Default Break rotors.

Ok I have had it with the rotors on my truck. Grant it is my fault cuz I'm hard on brakes. I'm looking for rotors that are better than stock. I checked out power stop and ebc rotors and few others. I want something that has longetivity, not so prone to warping, performance increase would be nice also. I kinda have a brand in mind, the ebc look good. But a mechanic told me why I'm not racing just get the stock rotors. Should I stick to stock or get something else. Please give ur opinions, it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Rotors will offer little to no gain, and the gains they do offer will be hardly (if at all) noticeable. Now, of course, you're gunna slap them on and be like WHOA! it stops great! But that's because they're NEW, and not because they're any better than OEM replacements. For a brake system improvement, the better option would be to get OEM grade rotors, slotted or drilled would be a worthwhile bump, and couple fresh rotors with some quality pads. You don't need to get crazy though because "racing" pads will wear much faster than OEM, and create a lot more brake dust. As for rotor brands, the Audi community used to really love "Adams Rotors" brand, and I do believe they make rotors in our size as well, so look into them.

EDIT: Here's the link to Adams: Catalog | adam's rotors

For a noticeable UPGRADE to the brakes, you could get stainless steel braided brake lines for under $100 usually, and because those flex less under pressure, they give a more firm feel and function of the brakes. I have SS lines on my bike currently, and I had them on my Audi I sold. They are a great "mod" to make your brakes feel and work much better.

Otherwise, you're looking at new calipers, larger diameter rotors, a lot more $$$, etc.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM

Come on people, opinions. Is there any thing better than stock oem? This is my second pair of oem rotors that warped on me. oh and what size are they front and back? thanks for your answers

Last edited by cheech; 04-06-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Rotors will offer little to no gain, and the gains they do offer will be hardly (if at all) noticeable. Now, of course, you're gunna slap them on and be like WHOA! it stops great! But that's because they're NEW, and not because they're any better than OEM replacements. For a brake system improvement, the better option would be to get OEM grade rotors, slotted or drilled would be a worthwhile bump, and couple fresh rotors with some quality pads. You don't need to get crazy though because "racing" pads will wear much faster than OEM, and create a lot more brake dust. As for rotor brands, the Audi community used to really love "Adams Rotors" brand, and I do believe they make rotors in our size as well, so look into them.

EDIT: Here's the link to Adams: Catalog | adam's rotors

For a noticeable UPGRADE to the brakes, you could get stainless steel braided brake lines for under $100 usually, and because those flex less under pressure, they give a more firm feel and function of the brakes. I have SS lines on my bike currently, and I had them on my Audi I sold. They are a great "mod" to make your brakes feel and work much better.

Otherwise, you're looking at new calipers, larger diameter rotors, a lot more $$$, etc.
thank you for information that will be taken into consideration. but im actually happy with the feel and stopping power of the truck as is. I just hate the fact that they warped on me again and its my second OEM replacement!!. a simple rotor switch is what I want, something better than stock. not racing rotors just better than stock.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 AM

Then good, name brand pads coupled with good, name brand rotors and you should be all set. I would still look into the drilled/slotted rotors as well because those can offer a little improvement in stopping power with minimal increase in wear for almost the same price as a blank rotor.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Drilled/slotted rotors will disapate heat faster. Heat is the main factor in rotor warpage, that and there is not enough metal on the rotors to hold the heat and allow them to cool.

Always use a hand torque wrench to torque the lug nuts, as over tightening/improper tightening will cause warpage also.

When getting tires rotated, I always request a hand torque wrench for that reason. If a shop refuses to to honor that request,go elsewherre.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Great info thanks everyone. Now any particular brands and material in mind? Some have coatings some don't. Some are iron and others type metals.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM

granted, I'm not a brake engineer...but I don't get coated or slotted rotors. I would think eventually those would just be worn away. I can see how drilled would be beneficial.

I replaced just my pads with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. They were pretty touchy for the first few weeks, but then they leveled out. if I need to stop, that thing stops hard. I've heard great things about EBC pads. I think Ak(I forget the rest...I want to say Akimbo, but that is probably wrong) are OEM.

your other factor in braking are your tires.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
Great info thanks everyone. Now any particular brands and material in mind? Some have coatings some don't. Some are iron and others type metals.
I emailed Adams Rotors out of curiosity, and for all 4 rotors drilled and slotted is $350 shipped. IDK how that compares, but just thought I'd let you know. That is no coating.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Need a quick answer, Any body know for sure what size diameter the rear rotors are. Are they 11.9 or 10.53? I can get some decent ebc rotors front and back for about 300 free shipping. I have a coupon only good for today.

Quick Reply: Break rotors.