Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Break rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Rotors will offer little to no gain, and the gains they do offer will be hardly (if at all) noticeable. Now, of course, you're gunna slap them on and be like WHOA! it stops great! But that's because they're NEW, and not because they're any better than OEM replacements. For a brake system improvement, the better option would be to get OEM grade rotors, slotted or drilled would be a worthwhile bump, and couple fresh rotors with some quality pads. You don't need to get crazy though because "racing" pads will wear much faster than OEM, and create a lot more brake dust. As for rotor brands, the Audi community used to really love "Adams Rotors" brand, and I do believe they make rotors in our size as well, so look into them.

EDIT: Here's the link to Adams: Catalog | adam's rotors

For a noticeable UPGRADE to the brakes, you could get stainless steel braided brake lines for under $100 usually, and because those flex less under pressure, they give a more firm feel and function of the brakes. I have SS lines on my bike currently, and I had them on my Audi I sold. They are a great "mod" to make your brakes feel and work much better.

Otherwise, you're looking at new calipers, larger diameter rotors, a lot more $$$, etc.

So you didn't get DBA rotors (Disk Brakes Australia) for your GTO?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM

great article, but it also says that minor changes can occur from heat to the rotor along with the brakes not setting right. this is causing the pulsating feeling i am getting in the car and at low speeds also. Slotted or drilled rotors will reduce this heat which will improve rotor and brake performance. Im on my second pair of rotors and i already cut these twice. maybe my NY driving is a little tough on the brakes, but i still want something better than stock rotors.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ruski
So you didn't get DBA rotors (Disk Brakes Australia) for your GTO?
Never did brakes on the goat... Was there some issues with DBA rotors? I haven't been on LS1GTO in probably over a year now.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 PM

First of all, you have to realize that like most Japanese cars and trucks, the front brakes are undersized for how most hard driving Americans operate their cars/SUVs/Trucks etc. We get pretty good stopping out of new pads and rotors but these things quickly overheat under repeated hard stomps on the pedal from higher speed such as the kind of driving we deal with in the NY metro area highways. I have a Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo that is a very high performance vehicle in most respects but the front brakes on that are undersized also. This is one area where the German cars are almost always superior.

We can do some things to gain a little better performance. I have replaced the stock rotors on my 2007 Outlander with dimpled and slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com. I am pleased with the increase in performance. I have gotten 2 years out of the last set and will use them again. Dimpled rotors are supposed to be better for a street driven vehicle because they are less prone to cracking around the holes like drilled rotors and they retain more mass in the rotor to absorb heat from the brake pads. I don't know about the thermal mass argument but I can tell you these have held up well and I am a hard driver on the brakes. They also do not rust. Brake Performance anodizes them and the finish holds up really well even on the salty winter roads here in NJ. The brake pads I use are the Hawk Performance ones for SUVs/Trucks. I got them from Tirerack.

Originally Posted by cheech
great article, but it also says that minor changes can occur from heat to the rotor along with the brakes not setting right. this is causing the pulsating feeling i am getting in the car and at low speeds also. Slotted or drilled rotors will reduce this heat which will improve rotor and brake performance. Im on my second pair of rotors and i already cut these twice. maybe my NY driving is a little tough on the brakes, but i still want something better than stock rotors.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mda185
First of all, you have to realize that like most Japanese cars and trucks, the front brakes are undersized for how most hard driving Americans operate their cars/SUVs/Trucks etc. We get pretty good stopping out of new pads and rotors but these things quickly overheat under repeated hard stomps on the pedal from higher speed such as the kind of driving we deal with in the NY metro area highways. I have a Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo that is a very high performance vehicle in most respects but the front brakes on that are undersized also. This is one area where the German cars are almost always superior.

We can do some things to gain a little better performance. I have replaced the stock rotors on my 2007 Outlander with dimpled and slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com. I am pleased with the increase in performance. I have gotten 2 years out of the last set and will use them again. Dimpled rotors are supposed to be better for a street driven vehicle because they are less prone to cracking around the holes like drilled rotors and they retain more mass in the rotor to absorb heat from the brake pads. I don't know about the thermal mass argument but I can tell you these have held up well and I am a hard driver on the brakes. They also do not rust. Brake Performance anodizes them and the finish holds up really well even on the salty winter roads here in NJ. The brake pads I use are the Hawk Performance ones for SUVs/Trucks. I got them from Tirerack.
those look really good and lifetime warranty on the dimpled slotted rotors sounds very promising but i never heard of them. im sure there good and i know you said your hard on your brakes and you haven't had issues, but how do they compare on some other brand like Celtic or power-stop or EBC? or better yet are they better than stock OEM.

P:S the dimpled slotted will be the one i will looking into and they come with free brakes with them. any idea of those brakes are any good.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM

So how does brakeperformance compare to let's say EBC rotors? There about the same price except for the warranty.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
those look really good and lifetime warranty on the dimpled slotted rotors sounds very promising but i never heard of them. im sure there good and i know you said your hard on your brakes and you haven't had issues, but how do they compare on some other brand like Celtic or power-stop or EBC? or better yet are they better than stock OEM.

P:S the dimpled slotted will be the one i will looking into and they come with free brakes with them. any idea of those brakes are any good.
I have not used EBC but I can say the Brake Performance rotors perform at least as well as the OEM and ATE brand slotted rotors I have used on my BMWs. They are much better than Brembo drilled rotors I have used on my Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo. I have had the Brembo drilled rotors crack around the holes and will never do drilled rotors on a street driven car again. They are also much better than the stock Mitsubishi rotors. The brake pads that come free with the Brake Performance rotors are nothing special. They overheat quickly and start to suffer from fade after about 2-3000 miles. I don't use them after trying them once. I like the Hawk Performance pads for SUVs and light trucks.

Last edited by mda185; 04-22-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mda185
I have not used EBC but I can say the Brake Performance rotors perform at least as well as the OEM and ATE brand slotted rotors I have used on my BMWs. They are much better than Brembo drilled rotors I have used on my Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo. I have had the Brembo drilled rotors crack around the holes and will never do drilled rotors on a street driven car again. They are also much better than the stock Mitsubishi rotors. The brake pads that come free with the Brake Performance rotors are nothing special. They overheat quickly and start to suffer from fade after about 2-3000 miles. I don't use them after trying them once. I like the Hawk Performance pads for SUVs and light trucks.
ok im sold, i will give brakeperformance a shot. i will give an update in the future when purchase has been made and my opinions. thank you again for the info and link.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM

I use these rotors front and back. Power Stop Brake Kit - 390 Reviews on Powerstop Rotors & Brake Pad Kit

and these front brake pads, for the rear I use powerstop brake pads
EBC Green Supreme Brake Pads

My braking performance has increased about 40% and recommend Power-stop/EBC

Quick Reply: Break rotors.