Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Brutal Fog Light replacement on 2009 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Default Brutal Fog Light replacement on 2009 Outlander

I cracked the glass bulb enclosure but the bulb is still good and the fog light works (passenger side). The 2009 Outlander's fog lights are very annoying to remove. When you pop off the round plastic bezel in front, you only have access to the leveling screw. You cannot remove the whole glass bulb enclosure, It looks like I have to remove the whole damn bumper. Has anyone done this? What is the easiest way to get at it? I bought a replacement Valeo enclosure and I am pretty sure it is the right part, but I'd hate to have to go to the dealer to install it.

Any ideas? Any DIY for a 2009 ES?

Thanks.

Busk

Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 AM

You do not have to remove the bumper. Please turn the fog light bezel counter clockwise to remove it. You will have access to the fog lights that are secured with three screws. Unscrew them and you can remove the assembly. I do recommend to get the service manual (downloadable from this forum). I also got this above information from there (see attached image). Believe me you will need it in the future. As to how to protect the fog lights from shattering their front glass (by rock chips), I have used a metal mesh (see the another attached picture. I have them on seven years. Although my rig is an OS/RVR/ASX the concept is the same for the full size Outlander. If you wish to replace the fog light, I would not buy the expensive OEM replacement. ebay is full with cheap (sometimes even LED) replacement alternatives.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Thanks for this. This may sound crazy and I do not have a photo, but when I take of the bezel, the three screws are so far back, I cannot even see them to unscrew them. The only screw I can see is the leveling screw because it is up front at the bottom of the housing.

I will try again....

Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Busk
Thanks for this. This may sound crazy and I do not have a photo, but when I take of the bezel, the three screws are so far back, I cannot even see them to unscrew them. The only screw I can see is the leveling screw because it is up front at the bottom of the housing.

I will try again....
Yes, the screw heads are located 4-5 inch deep into the cavity. Try and you will find them, unless your ES model (I have no clue how the model line up equipments in the US were in the year when your car was made) came without a fog light and someone installed (incorrectly) some for lights there.

Last edited by AWCAWD; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:58 PM

I have a 2008 and you are right. You can only access the light fixings from the rear. You can do this by dropping out the wheel arch liners. The left hand side (as you sit in the car) is quite easy. The right hand side is a fiddly bugger. You need to drop the under tray and contend with the washer bottle. I used a small 1/4 ratchet and 10mm socket and it made access a bit easier.

Have a look here for when I changed my degraded fogs out. https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...w-53231/page2/

Last edited by Matt101; 12-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 AM

I apologize for suggesting an incorrect fix for the OP. The fog light design is indeed different in the two versions of the 2nd generation Outlanders. My post (#2) above refers only to the shark nose version.
The correct method for the OP is shown in this video (select 4. in the right thumbnails)