Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Can't get second key to lock / unlock the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 11:10 PM
Default Can't get second key to lock / unlock the car

Hello, tried to search but had no luck. I have two keys to my 2015 Outlander Sport. I was able to get one key programmed following the sequence below but the second one does not work at all.. tried many times. I have replaced both batteries as a troubleshooting step.

hold unlock 8 blinks

on 8th blink, hold down the lock button 8 times
let go
hold unlock button 4 blink
put in car and switch
hold both for 4 blinks
hold unlock 2 blinks
put it in the swtich and turn on then off

But the second key won't pair. I tried following this site and it would go into pairing mode but when I followed the sequence it didn't work. Can someone point me to the right guide or maybe the second key is screwed?

Enter Programming Mode – Step 1PRESS the UNLOCK button for 5-10 seconds on the already programmed remote.
  1. Enter Programming Mode – Step 2PRESS and HOLD the LOCK button on the same remote.
  2. Enter Programming Mode – Step 3WITHIN 10 seconds, RELEASE the LOCK and then the UNLOCK button. Door locks will cycle LOCK/UNLOCK to indicate successful entry into Programming Mode.
  3. Program RemoteWITHIN 60 seconds, COMPLETE the following steps with the new un-programmed remote WITHIN 4 seconds:

a. PRESS and HOLD BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 2 seconds.

b. RELEASE BOTH the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 1 second.

c. PRESS the UNLOCK button.

d. Door locks will cycle LOCK/UNLOCK to confirm successful programming of the new remote.

Old 12-10-2023, 01:00 AM

It is very hard to get the timing correct. AFAIK you do need MUTIII connected to carry out key programming. Well you do here in Australia anyway

Old 12-10-2023, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ
It is very hard to get the timing correct. AFAIK you do need MUTIII connected to carry out key programming. Well you do here in Australia anyway
Hmm, the first key was maybe 1 or 2 tries. I've tried 20 times with the second key and zero results. Do you know where I can find official documentation to read? I'm just a weekend DIYer that doesn't want to pay the dealership money. I feel like I'm just missing something easy.