Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Default car won't start

Ok, so I was out doing errands today and the car was driving just fine. I parked and went into the grocery store, then I came back out and started the car, and it went dead in a fraction of a second. I thought I didn't hold the key long enough so I tried again, and it started and then immediately died. I tried a third time with no luck. I stopped, waited a minute and then started it and floored the gas while doing it and got it to start, but now the Service Engine Soon light is on. After I got home, I tried starting it again, and it started normally, but the service engine light is still on. It is a 2007 with 7100 miles and I have never had any other problems with it. I just had it in the dealer on Friday for an oil change and tire rotation. The closest dealer to me is an hour away, and I won't be able to get there until the weekend at the earliest.

Does anyone have any idea's what caused this?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Default RE: car won't start

Sounds like it could be a bad fuel sensor or possibly bad gas (water in it). Did it sputter and then die out? When driving ithome was it threatening to stall again? Was there any hesitancy when trying to turn it over? Starter maybe? Hard to tell these days with all the computers, sensors and relays.

Could even be a related problem to antlip's issue. See his thread "damn service engine light"

That sux you have to go an hour to the dealer. Mine's about 40 mins so i feel your pain.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
tcp

What was the temperature outside?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM

I got gas a few days ago, and it is down to 1/4 tank, so I don't know why it would start being a problem now. The first thing I checked though is the gas cap, but it was on there tight.

Here is some more detailed info: When trying to start the car, it started like normal, and then just died. No sputtering, just dead. Once I got the car started, it drove like normal. If the engine light hadn't been on, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong.
Today it was almost 75 out, which is a first in a while.

I was just driving around doing errands, the car was behaving normally. I parked, went in to the grocery store. Loaded up the car came back tried to start and it wouldn't. I found it very strange. Worked fine when I went in, and wouldn't start when I came out.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM

I have a feeling its just a faulty sensor. Since you have the Keyless system it could be getting apoor signal causing it to shut down. Sux, but sounds like a dealer trip is next.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
tcp

did you have the key near anything bluetooth or cell phone related. The signal from the chip in the key can get distorted by other EMF radiation in the area.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 AM

You know, that is what I was thinking. When I got it started, I had used the emergency key because I wasn't sure if something wasn't wrong with the key. But that doesn't explain why the check engine light was on.

That being said, this morning when I started the outie and it started just fine and now the check engine light is off. So I am assuming that this problem fixed itself and hopefully it won't happen again, but I wonder why it happened in the first place?

Old 03-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Take it to the dealer and see if there are any memory codes. It should be still covered under warranty.