Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Default RE: Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+

well I went to CT and purchased the Powerflow guards, got home and dry fitted them to the Outie but I just didn't like the look so i'm now back to my original idea of the OEM ones. I just like the look of the Mitsu mud guards. Hopefully I can find them under $100 in Canada but I doubt it

Thanks again

Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM

I don't think you'll find the OEM ones for $100 CAD. They are $150+tax. I bought them from the US, for about $89 USD + $25 shipping (I thinK they were $117 CAD), but unfortunately they shipped them by UPS and thoseTHIEVES charged some $43 CAD for taxes and brokerage fee, eating up all my savings. Well, lesson learned: never buy again from the US if shipped by UPS.
I had stuff shipped via USPS and they did not charge anything extra.
I ended up paying the Canadian price.
Another option would be to drive to the US if you are close enough to the border.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM

I looked into that as well and I agree with you about the thieves in Brown Trucks. My wife who is a broker for a graphics company recommends using UPS - the United POSTAL Service as opposed to the other UPS - United PARCEL Service. I guess the Postal one doesn't charge all that brokerage crap.

Anyway, we were in the dealer the other day and i spoke to the 'chief' in charge about the mudflaps and he tells me that they are having many customer complaining about them not protecting the paint as they're just too small. I guess they are going with a 3M tape that protects the rear door and recommends not using the mudflaps. We've also seen an accumulation of snow/gravel/crap getting stuck in the rear bottom corner of the inside of the door. Not sure if I can fix that or not. Just have to keep an eye on it.

It's ok as we can take the $150 and put it towards the rear left signal light housing as someone A$$%*#@ decided to break it. Through a friend of mine I can get the part for just over $400. Crazy. I'm trying to find something through the USA but haven't discovered anything as of yet.

Smurph

Old 02-05-2008, 06:27 PM

Hey-

I ordered the OEM mudgaurds online and they took all of twenty minutes to put on -

all you need is:

1. alcohol 70%
2. cleaning solution to clean the general area (if your car isn't already spotless)
3. weather that is warm - the warmer the better - I did it outside in 80 degree Texas heat (it's February, darnit)
4. a small racheting device that will allow you to easily screw the bolts/screws in from a 90 degree angle - don't try directly screwing them in - not enough room to apply pressure
5. that's basically it - oh and $89.95 (plus shipping and handling - it was all of 4 bucks, I believe)

they come with directions and someone on this site has already posted pics (http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=40) to ease you through it. They look so much nicer than ill fitting non-mitsu gaurds. any qeustions, just ask.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Like I was saying in another thread, the mud guards do part of the job protecting the paint on the upper part of the doors. However, even after installing the mud guards, the bottom portion of both doors as well as the round part of the rear door is not protected. My solution would be to install the side door garnish which covers exactly the affected part of the lower door and install some 3M clear film on the round portion of the rear door and wheel well.
I hate the cold/snowy weather as it's hard to work on the car, especially to apply adhesive on the cold metal. When I installed the mud guards it was a bit warmer, but I still used a hair dryer to warm up the surface. I'll have to do it again because I have to do some touch-ups before I apply the garnish and the clear film, not to mention to give it a good hand wash. Lucky you living in warmer areas: one less thing to worry about.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 AM

DoDo-

You have a point - I installed the mudflaps to protect from an OCCASIONAL rock and mostly ill-paved streets that hold too much water. I do not live in an area that gets major snow or ice, so they might not work in those areas. All I can say is they look great - hold back the water - and weren't too expensive. I guess the only flaps that might protect the car totally are those that some posters have found on the car in Japan - I, personally, think those are way gross, but if they get the job done, then great. Good luck on protecting your car from the elements. It's funny - I think our existence is all about finding shelter/protection from Mother Nature - makes you wonder...

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Heres some pics of the oem splash guards.
Front

Rear

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sirnewt

DoDo-

You have a point - I installed the mudflaps to protect from an OCCASIONAL rock and mostly ill-paved streets that hold too much water. I do not live in an area that gets major snow or ice, so they might not work in those areas. All I can say is they look great - hold back the water - and weren't too expensive. I guess the only flaps that might protect the car totally are those that some posters have found on the car in Japan - I, personally, think those are way gross, but if they get the job done, then great. Good luck on protecting your car from the elements. It's funny - I think our existence is all about finding shelter/protection from Mother Nature - makes you wonder...
If you regularly drive on less than perfect roads like I do - gravel, debris, salt, sand, etc.the mudguards would only partially protect the side of the car. The lower part of the doors will still get hit systematically, increasing the chance for paint chips.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to fight the occasional road hazards - it's absurd in my opinion; I know already from my previous experience with new cars that's impossible to avoid occasional chips, scratches, dings, etc.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: dodo2

If you regularly drive on less than perfect roads like I do - gravel, debris, salt, sand, etc.the mudguards would only partially protect the side of the car. The lower part of the doors will still get hit systematically, increasing the chance for paint chips.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to fight the occasional road hazards - it's absurd in my opinion; I know already from my previous experience with new cars that's impossible to avoid occasional chips, scratches, dings, etc.
Here ya go dodo, these should help.

or

Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Tdford-

Just when I said I didn't like the Japanese mudflaps - you go and post two pics that look pretty swell. I love black and red - and the ones on the blue model look great too. I wonder how thick that rubber is, however. I work with alternative materials and some rubber sheeting would fly backwards simply by scootin out from a standstill too quickly. I guess anything is better than nothing, you know. We all have to deal with road hazards - just like the other night - i went to Central Market and was sitting in my car - some little twerp came up behind me and left his shopping basket - i didn't see him do it, until the damned thing gently rolled into my car. At first, I thought it was the song I was listening to - but NO - if I had backed up - can you say trip to the body shop? So, yes, road hazards are scary, but stupidity hazards are worse. (Fortunately my car didn't suffer any emotional, or mental, damages...)[&:]

Quick Reply: Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+