Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Cold Starts? Horrible Sounds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Default Cold Starts? Horrible Sounds...

Does anyone else's Outlander occationaly sound horrible during a cold start? I realize its been sitting all night and it has to run for a second or two before oil pressure acutally builds in the engine, but for that second or two, that intial lack of oil combined with an accelerate idle sounds horrible. I've ownd several cars, but nothing ever like this. I run full synthetic 5w-20 like Mitsubishi reccomends. I'm wondering if i should use some sort of oil stabilizer in addition.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Default RE: Cold Starts? Horrible Sounds...

nope thats the character of it. Same happen to me. Even with 10w-30 which i have in right now, still the same.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM

Hi:

Hot weather or Cold weather my XLS sounds like every other car that I have owned..It makes no Horrible sounds when it starts..

It sounds like a trip to the dealer is in your future....

Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Mine has same problem. I brought it to the dealer this morning. I will let you know what they say/do.

It is Hall Mitsubishi in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

I LOVE MY OUTIE!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Cold starts is an issue for any vehicle. I lived in Minnesota for 6 years (very cold winters) and now live in Phoenix (hot summers, mild winters). Regardless of climate when you start an engine with little or no oil in it, its going to sound a little rough for the first 10 seconds or so.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM

Well. I just called the dealer. They couldn't replicate the sound (temperature this morning was 45 F) and nothing showed-up on the scan.

Rockford...if you're in Canada, maybe the dealer will hear the sound.

This is a loud sound/knocking for about 3 seconds when starting at cold temps (just above to below freezing). This is not "a rough start". This is a loud rattle/knock. No way this is normal at whatever temp.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM

I get the same sound occasionally at 55*f and below in NC. It does seem to be a cold weather noise.

At first it sounds like dry tappets but it almost has a plastic sound to it and the rpms run past the speed of the engine.

I wonder if its not overspin of the starter?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM

this is normal guys. cold weather on metal makes for some strange things to happen. its normal for a vehicle to run a little husky the first few minutes when the engine is frozen. hot combustion on frozen metal = sound and wear. its a fact of life. i really dont know how else to describe it. unless you have a problem with your piston rings,

Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
tcp

my outie sounds rattly at cold temps for a few seconds... but cold for me means -30F or so. It's normal for hydraulic lifters to take a bit to get up to full pressure. Are you using a mitsu oil filter? If not, maybe it's lacking the backflow valve. Just a thought. My sienna also sounds rattly for a 5-20 seconds at startup anytime it's below 0C(32F). It just takes time for the oil to get everywhere. Normal, i would guess.