Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Common Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Common Problems?

My wife just had to have an Outlander so I found an 07 XLS loaded with only 53K miles for $17K. Thought it was a good deal, but on day 3 the steering column locked up, had to order a new Steering column from Japan, now a cable to the shifter. I need to update the Navi, the Rear windows have an issue with the seals, so they have to be replaced. Do I have more to look foreward to? I also need to replace the cup holder by the drivers left knee...They want $70 from the Stealership and I can't find it aftermarket. I also need new clips for the mid row seatbelts so that smaller people can adjust them off their neck, but I can't find them aftermarket. I'm new to this japan market can anyone point me in the right direction or give me advise b4 my warranty runs out.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Are you sure the car wasnt in a major accident? I have not heard of those issues...the closest is the rear windows wont go up properly when the grease dries up in the rails. However the car is rock solid otherwise in terms of major components.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Yeah, it sounds as if your Outlander was in a major accident before. I haven't heard of anyone having their steering wheel locked up. It sounds as if the thing was hit hard before. My Outlander is pretty much rock solid. There are little creeks here and there but as far as mechanical failures. So far after 3 years it has zero. Oh, for some reason my lock/unlock door remote was deprogrammed (it got fixed within a day) but other than that its perfect.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM

our's has been pretty solid. In terms of failures...only had a wheel sensor go out 2 years ago.

I have a ball joint that is starting to creak and my upper oil pan is just starting to leak a bit....but that's it. I'm greasing the ball joint with a needle and the oil pan isn't really leaking too bad to take it off and reseal.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Default Stealership says...

THey say it's not an accident issue, that it happens. I'm waitingon parts for the steering lock column and the cable from the shifter to the column to come in. It did work find until I parked it...the windows they also say that they have had reports of it in other cars in hot humid areas... So I guess I'm ok since the lady who owned it said it wasn't wrecked and carfax showed it was ok. does onyone have a way to double check it for me? Thanks

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Rear windows coming out of channels has been reported on this forum. Happened to mine.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ruski
Rear windows coming out of channels has been reported on this forum. Happened to mine.
SO did they fix it right the second time? I just want to make sure when I roll off the lot so close to the end of my warranty that I'm ok...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
tcp
Default Window Channels

Mine also had the window channels replaced in 2007 after about 6 months of ownership. No problems since. A lot of what you have listed are simple TSBs that have come out for the outlander since 2007, other than the steering column. See here for all the details:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...inquiry-28958/

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM

In my case, I finally took my Outlander to the dealer for the warranty fix - they replaced the rear window channels and fixed the black pillar material that had gotten scraped by the window glass.

Actually I am very pleased with my dealership's service department - they are as good as I remember my Lexus dealer was back when I had an RX300 ages ago.

However the rear window wants to come out of the channel anyway, like the curvature of the glass doesn't match the curvature of the door... the glass wants to go more straight up and the channel's rubber lip isn't stiff enough to keep it in.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM
ndj

Why would you want to tell this guy his car's been in a major accident without any proof?

Don't you think he's got enough to worry about already with the problems stated?

My first brand new outlander turned up with a badly painted front end. Major accident? No, lack of quality control at the factory.

Quick Reply: Common Problems?